Selenium 4-ohm Midbass....

ptcary

selinium has been ok for home theatre stuff sometimes in the past when i cant find something else, but i find for linearity (SQ) they plain out suck. They are loud and pretty efficient, and they are price wise cheap as hell, but thats pretty much as far as i would go with them.

Yea some people on here use them and say the SQ is amazing, but i question thier definition of SQ in that case, and i dont really care whom it is running them my opinion is the same, they sound like ass compared to better speakers on the market.

Not sure I can agree with you because I have never read anything on any forum about them being any sort of SQ driver, or "having amazing SQ", and I'm not sure why you would use a pro-audio driver in a home theater.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

ghey. i just have a problem wit runnin mids that are 5.25 and a midbass thats 6

i like a little more size difference ya know?

i guess ill be stain wit kicker

Can't help you there. I have a 5.25" center channel running midrange and it does not produce any midbass, size of the speaker should not matter, they are running different frequency ranges. Are you running 3-way?

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Yeah pro audio isnt meant for home audio, thats why there is differences there

you got midranges with 110hz Fs, and the bass drivers at like 50-70hz Fs, when home audio requires alot lower frequency reproducing numbers, like the 20s and 30hz ranges

Then the Qts is alot higher on pro audio, the electrical and mechanical charicteristics between home audio and car audio speakers are what makes the difference, and sound quality difference between the 2

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Yeah pro audio isnt meant for home audio, thats why there is differences there

you got midranges with 110hz Fs, and the bass drivers at like 50-70hz Fs, when home audio requires alot lower frequency reproducing numbers, like the 20s and 30hz ranges

Then the Qts is alot higher on pro audio, the electrical and mechanical charicteristics between home audio and car audio speakers are what makes the difference, and sound quality difference between the 2

i personally wont run them home or Mobile audio wise. I know what freq are needed for each application and ive seen them sound better as part of a center channel rather then anything related to car audio.

Not sure I can agree with you because I have never read anything on any forum about them being any sort of SQ driver, or "having amazing SQ", and I'm not sure why you would use a pro-audio driver in a home theater.

many members of this forum claim selinium drivers are part of thier "sq" build

many members of this forum claim selinium drivers are part of thier "sq" build

I have no problem claiming my Selenium drivers as part of my SQ design. In fact, so far everyone that heard my low SQ setup have been very impressed with how good the SQ is.

Other then being a little R/L directional, they haven't been lacking in any way.

When I get my lazy ass out to rebuild my door pods, I will have corrected the directional part.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I have no problem claiming my Selenium drivers as part of my SQ design. In fact, so far everyone that heard my low SQ setup have been very impressed with how good the SQ is.

Other then being a little R/L directional, they haven't been lacking in any way.

When I get my lazy ass out to rebuild my door pods, I will have corrected the directional part.

Good enough for me! I have no plans to claim that my build is anything SQ, never have- never will. However, I do post about SQ in respect to the fact that I (like many others here) want to keep as much sound quality out of my big build as I can, that is why I ordered a new headunit with extensive sound control and plan to go active in the next few months.

As KingSuv has posted many times, it's not just the drivers, it's how you use them, and what you expect from them. A talented installer can get really nice sound from these Selenium speakers, no doubt. I am more than sure that there are many sub-par installs that limit the capabilities of much more expensive speakers, too.

I'm not trying to argue here at all, just posting up my experience with a very inexpensive and high quality midbass speaker at a time on the these forums when everyone is looking for midbass options, that is all.

I am not trying to discount James' opinion, everyone is entitled to his own. My experience is that these are excellent speakers for the money, they are not true SQ drivers, but as KingSuv reports in 10 year experience with them, that they can indeed produce SQ, and he has the proof in his truck.

I am pretty sure that 99% of SMD members are not here for REAL SQ, me included, we just want the best we can do to go with the SPL, so I guess that leaves us in the SQL boat. I have not seen more than few here that even run the proper equipment to attempt any sort of SQ. KingSuv is one of those few, and apparently continues to work on it each day.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Thanks PT

I got my feet wet building plenty of studio monitors and PA systems back in the day. I used plenty of Selenium, B&C, Morel, Goldwood, Dayton, Celestion, Jensen, Fisher and Cerwin-Vega just to name a few off the top of my head. And I know I'm forgetting a bunch. I've built more Monitors, guitar, and PA cabinets then I can remember.

I got into SQ long before I did spl, In fact I was looking for SQ events way back in 2000 when I can across drag and usaci.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Oh and I just got these for a little something I'm working on.

Posted Image

most of the people telling you are either to nice, or have no idea what SQ is themselfs. I havent heard or seen your setup so i cant comment on your personal install, but i highly doubt it's anything near some of the SQ stuff ive heard.

i'll close my eyes and point at every single selinium in your build

Archived