New Motherboard And Cpu Came Today! (update: New Video Card And Psu)

I came from from school and found my packadge that I have been waiting for for a week sitting on my doorstep. This is what was in it:

CIMG3246.jpg

Its an Asus Rampage Formula motherboard and an Intel q6600 quad core CPU. I will install it sometime this week.

Edited by CJtech323

I need to rebuild my computer. I was thinking dual core, but I also looked into quad core. Would there be any improvement between dual and quad core for gaming? That's the main reason I'd want it

If you have a game that was written to take advantage of 4+ cores then yes, there would be an imporvement. And yes, there are such games.

Bad news. Hooked everything up today, turned it on and goes straight to DET DRAM. No POST, no bios beep, nothing. Tried re-installing everything, didnt work. Cleared the CMOS, it didnt work. Installed everything but the new CPU on a different mother board to check if it works and it does. Brought my friend over who was on the programming team for vista, has worked around computers all of his life, and has built countless numbers of servers, and even he couldnt fix the problem. Everything turns on, it just gets stuck on DET DRAM and stays there. The moniter gets no signal, and the keyboard doesnt work. Called tech support TWICE. first time waited about five minutes, asked me to get them my name and number and said they would call me back. Just got off the phone with them after waiting a half an hour, same thing. Name and number and we will call you back. I wait for someone to come onto live tech support while i was on hold, and no on came online. Im gonna call them tomorrow right after school and if I dont get through I am just going to file an RMA with www.newegg.com

Called tech support today and worked it out. Apparently 3 of my 4 sticks of ram got fried when i was swapping them to the new board. And thats what was causing the hang during boot up. So now I am running on 512mb of ram, which vista needs 1.5gb of ram to even run. So now i have to buy some new ram, which sucks haha. But at least I dont have to RMA it B)