Sundown Audio

Amplifier Getting Hot

kentb

which alpine do you ahve that only has 2 v pre outs. i have a 9883 and it has 4v. i tested it myself

9887, it has 4v as well

alpine HU are kinda tricky. Usually you have to set the subwoofer setting(not bass setting) pretty high to get the full voltage out of your alpine HU which could be why you have to turn your amp up so high that its clipping before you get good output. Thats my best guess

Get a line driver one can be had rather cheap.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Get a line driver one can be had rather cheap.

which one do you suggest?

i blew it the first time from some odd reason.

but the problem is its getting very hot after playing for about 30 mins.

is that normal?

The amp should get warm after extended use, but should not be hot, where you cant touch it.

my alpines at +0 on subwoofer right now.

i didn't use a dmm, i set my gains to max with no bass boost(i know i know).

Turn your gail down! Gain is not a volume knob its meant to match your decks preout voltage to the amp, so you get full power out of the amp without clipping.

Im glad to see that your said no bass boost, bass boost is not needed at all! and only causes clipping, a little bassboost at low volumes is fine, but at max volumes its not needed. Bass boost is pretty much like the LOUD settings on a deck, you only hear a difference at low volumes and there is no difference at max volumes.

2V ftl get a diff head unit

There is nothing wrong with a 2 volt line output.

If he is running a few sub amps it maybe a problem.

But with one amp the 2 volt pre out is just fine!!

The gain knob on Hifonics amps is for 0.2 volts to 9 volts.

Is the 2 volt setting between those 2 numbers eric? yes it is. So there for you can properly set your gain to 2 volts. Now if your deck had a line output of .1 volt, yes get a new deck.

Using a deck with 2 volt, 4 volt, 5 volt, 8 volt pre amp outputs will be fine with the amp.

If your gain is set properly no matter what voltage pre amp out puts you have (2 volt in this case) your amp will work just the same as a higher ouput voltage (4 volt or 8 volt like a Eclipse headunit). The amp WILL NOT be more efficent with a 4 or 8 volt pre amp out put, nor will the amp run cooler with a higher voltage out put.

Ill agree with the other users that presented REAL advice about turning your subwoofer output up, and resetting your gain knob with a dmm (digital multimeter).

Your gain should ruffly be set about 3/4 the way up, maybe a little less if your headunit has 2 volt pre outs, and around half way if you have 4 volt. Since the Hifonics amps run a gain knob that starts at the 9 volts and turns down to 0.2 volts.

Where as other amps start at the 0.2 volts and turns up to 9 volts.

With this being done, you should eliminate clipping and max volumes, and your amp should run a tad bit cooler too.

Cheers.

And just to post up about the line driver post.

Kent there is no reason for a line driver!!!

Dont waste your money, put the money towards something else needed in your car.

As I said in my post, the gain on the hifonics amp is for .2 volts - 9volts. Your output is 2 volts and falls under the gain's settings.

If you where running 2 sub amps, then a line driver maybe more needed, but you would still be somewhat safe.

And just to post up about the line driver post.

Kent there is no reason for a line driver!!!

Dont waste your money, put the money towards something else needed in your car.

As I said in my post, the gain on the hifonics amp is for .2 volts - 9volts. Your output is 2 volts and falls under the gain's settings.

If you where running 2 sub amps, then a line driver maybe more needed, but you would still be somewhat safe.

thanks you sir! thats a lot of help.

i will definitely adjust my gains using a dmm asap.

the preout voltage on my hu is 4v.

i got a stupid question, is it okay to clip it for a few seconds?

clipping is bad no matter for how long. So i would not try to clip things it is just going to cause things to go bad.

94 lincoln mark viii

h/u: kenwood kvt 614 Excelon

comps: alpine type x

amps: mtx 1501d mtx 4004

sub:2 DC lv4 12

wiring jl audio 0awg 8 awg sub

jl audio 4 awg for mid and highs amp

myspace.com/kylecm85

carstereolexington.com

thanks you sir! thats a lot of help.

i will definitely adjust my gains using a dmm asap.

the preout voltage on my hu is 4v.

i got a stupid question, is it okay to clip it for a few seconds?

Ok, yea since you got 4 volt pre outs and not 2 volts like someone else talking out of their a** again..... you really have no need what so every for a line driver.

Like I said, with a 4 volt pre out your gain should be ruffly around half way, give or take a little bit.

clipping is bad no matter for how long. So i would not try to clip things it is just going to cause things to go bad.

x2, no matter when or how long clipping is bad.

Clipping makes the amp work harder. The amp will draw more current, get hotter and in return put out less power.

Not to mention that your voice coils on the subs will run hotter from the sub not moving correctly.

When you clip the speaker the sub does not move as far in and out as a non clipped power. I think you may have said something about the cone movement not being far, but I forgot.

A little clipping here and there is not enough to harm your stereo, sometimes some songs are just recorded bad and some spots of the song will clip no matter how good you got your amp set.