Hey Steve, I Have A Job Question For You.

In your job do you use AutoCAD and if so what version? I'm teaching myself how to use AutoCAD2009 and Inventor 2008 right now due to me and my wife being let go from a company that we had worked there for the last 9 years. (Long Story! And a $60,000 a year lost.) Also did you go to school for architecture to get your job? I'm looking to try and get myself in a position that I don't have to work for big business anymore. I told myself I shall never work for a place that treats me like a number.

Thanks again for your time Steve.

Shannon

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

I'm not Steve but I would like to chime in, if you don't mind. (am i qualified? ) I have been doing AutoCAD since Release 10, somewhere around 1989, and i teach an AutoCAD class at California State University, Fresno in the Construction Management dept. My main job is Coordination/quality control for a drafting department for a local structural engieering firm for the last 12 years.

If you teach youself, and learn the basic commands, you should be able to aquire a job at a construction company (if they have a drafting staff), Architectural firm, Structural engineering firm, Metal building company. Don't forget about manufacturing facilities (could be automotive or anything) lots of companies run some sort of CNC equipment. Drafting type degrees are usually a 2 year AA type degree. There are also trade school's specializing in this sort of training. I guess it depends if you future employer wants certificates.

Most companies with an actual "Staff" will have a lower level assignment.

residential might be difficult to get into right now but commerical is still doing pretty well in some areas. Not knowing what you did before, you biggest issue could be understabding construction in general. If you have that, then you should be employable. Our biggest issue where I am at isn't knowing how to work the program , but understanding what it is that they are drawings. If you use you build speaker boxes, then chances are that you are ahead of the general person that can't hang a picture.

this is kind of my take on it . Sorry to hear about the job, thats never a fun thing to deal with.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

Im running cad 09 and inverntor 09. going to school this year to finish up on my2 year mechanical design aa degree then going for 2 more years for my bach in mechanical engineering

03 Trailblazer EXT LT

In Dash

Rear Flip Down

Polk Audio Font & Rear Stage

Hifonics Zeus 4 Chan Amp

Hifonics Brutus Mono Amp

12" Rockford Fosgate Power HX2

T-Line tuned to 45hz

18"BTL T-line @31Hz (9 weeks pregnant)

I first was taught on AutoCAD R13 in 96. But now I'm want to get into CNC type work. I have machining skills on a 3 axis mill. but I believe they use Solidworks for digitizing, but I have that also. I figured I'd learn AutoCAD first then to Solidworks. The book that I'm currently using is Applying AutoCAD by Wohlers and so far its one heck of a book. (Bonus! I picked it up on eBay for $0.99! LoL)

Shannon

Edited by ImLow78

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

I use Roof-Cad.....AutoCad is much more complicated, i WISH i knew how to use it :D

you biggest issue could be understabding construction in general. If you have that, then you should be employable. Our biggest issue where I am at isn't knowing how to work the program , but understanding what it is that they are drawings. If you use you build speaker boxes, then chances are that you are ahead of the general person that can't hang a picture.

i am self taught but you hit it right on the head.....KNOWING what your drawing is 75% of the battle if you ask me. I spent 10 yrs on the roof before i came in the office, so now im drawing on the computer - but i know EXACTLY what it is i am drawing (most of the time lol). Sure someone like even BaggedBird can run RoofCad with no problem since its 100x less complicated then AutoCad - but i bet he falls flat on his face when it comes to the actual drawings that need to be done. I know for a fact he (you) could do it, but if you dont know wtf your drawing, it really hurts :D Whatever you draw, it always helps to specialize in what your drawing IMO.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

This is a pretty cool thread since I always wanted to do Drafting. My uncle was the full blown home drafter, worked at home, designed homes for Ponderosa Homes out here in Cali, he made great money, always had nice cars, and lived good- I Always wanted to follow in those footsteps. I loved looking at all his drawings, how he did everything.

In the mid 90s, and in HS I always took Mechanical Drafting 1 and Advanced, and took a home school course in Mechanical Drafting. In 2000 I started a Auto CAD 2000 class, but didn't finish it because I went through a separation with my wife, and moved to Sacramento. ( I wanted to finish so badly) Now I have S ketchup which is fun, and easy, but I know its no where near Auto CAD, I personally would love to get back in to Auto CAD as well. Looking around here in the job market though, "Drafters" start at like $12-14hr, and Auto CAD is like $14+hr, its almost not worth it, unless you get really lucky, maybe a state job or something- from what I have seen on pay scales.

So, I don't see the point of going to school for CAD if your only going to get paid that low, unless your on the job already, and they ask you to advance your knowledge.

So, it is good to know you can be self taught, and people will actually look at you, and not just say- No college, no job-

I will look in to Auto CAD 2009 myself

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I use Roof-Cad.....AutoCad is much more complicated, i WISH i knew how to use it :D

i am self taught but you hit it right on the head.....KNOWING what your drawing is 75% of the battle if you ask me. I spent 10 yrs on the roof before i came in the office, so now im drawing on the computer - but i know EXACTLY what it is i am drawing (most of the time lol). Sure someone like even BaggedBird can run RoofCad with no problem since its 100x less complicated then AutoCad - but i bet he falls flat on his face when it comes to the actual drawings that need to be done. I know for a fact he (you) could do it, but if you dont know wtf your drawing, it really hurts :D Whatever you draw, it always helps to specialize in what your drawing IMO.

Totally agree with Steve and Baggedbirds. Experience and knowledge of what your drawing is key. I'm personally running AutoCad 2009, and have been using AutoCad for 12 years now. As far as schooling goes, it's up to you. But it's always nice to have some type of AA degree or certificate to fall back on.

EG Limo

Chrysler 300's Stretched

Lambo Doors

20" Rims

I wish I could just get an entry level job learning some CAD, and then go back and get certified or a AA... in the real world, when your 33, you cant just go back to school, with out some major help, or already a great paying job, and free time for school

Community college night classes for me

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

seeing how bad the construction industry is right now, you might wanna hit the books real hard real soon, because before to long its gonna be out of control busy, right now commercial work is as strong as ever, and residential sucks balls, but that will change, and sooon resi will go crazy agian.

I have been toying with this idea as well, seeing how my tade has such a lack of work I will be hitting the books soon myself so I can draw fire sprinkler systems.

ITT is a good place to check out, thats probably where I will go to get my AA.

Im running cad 09 and inverntor 09. going to school this year to finish up on my2 year mechanical design aa degree then going for 2 more years for my bach in mechanical engineering

Im going for mechanical engineering right now as well :D

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals