Lights Dimming After New Alt. Put In

yeah .. if mechman reads this....

i just installed the first of 4 250a alts from him and a XS D2400 up frnt and my lights also dimm when i roll my windows up?????

new suggestions??

i also did big 3 with 0g.

*2013 NEW BUILD*

12- 18" Crossfire XS v2's B pillar 4th order wall

4- Crossfire 8K mono blocks

40+ pro audio mids tweeters and horns

3- Singer alternator 400a external regulated alts

tons of audiotechnix wire

24- XS Power D1400's

-TEAM XS POWER-

-TEAM CROSSFIRE-

-TDH-

tdh.png

" eaglescorpio1:: My headlights and dash dim at any rpm level. I have a 225 amp alt from EA, the big 3, and an hc2400 in the spare tire well, and my lights dim when the bass hits no matter what my rpm's are at. I have the mla module and never drop below 13.8 volts at full tilt with rpms at 2000. They still dim."

But see my light dim when i roll the windows up with no bass hitting.. the music is all the way down. they do also dim when i turn it up all the way, but i can live with that.

Edited by hoppinAltima

But she my light dim when i roll the windows up with no bass hitting.. the music is all the way down. they do also dim when i turn it up all the way, but i can live with that.

no bro i dnt have ne thing but a deck in mine as of now... im talking while im driving or just chillin with my dvd goin my lights still dimm.....

im getting ready to thrown in my shit but ... not done yet ...

but yeah mine is w/o system as well ????

ne ideas guys.......

*2013 NEW BUILD*

12- 18" Crossfire XS v2's B pillar 4th order wall

4- Crossfire 8K mono blocks

40+ pro audio mids tweeters and horns

3- Singer alternator 400a external regulated alts

tons of audiotechnix wire

24- XS Power D1400's

-TEAM XS POWER-

-TEAM CROSSFIRE-

-TDH-

tdh.png

" eaglescorpio1::But see my light dim when i roll the windows up with no bass hitting.. the music is all the way down. they do also dim when i turn it up all the way, but i can live with that.

my momma's van's lights dim whenever you try to roll up the power windows, revving the engine a little fixes that problem.

i remember reading that your lights can dim no matter what voltage you see, because you do still get voltage drops, so your headlights will still see that drop, even if it's from 15 volts down to 13 volts. now...i dno about rolling windows up and down and whatnot tho :pardon:

i remember reading that your lights can dim no matter what voltage you see, because you do still get voltage drops, so your headlights will still see that drop, even if it's from 15 volts down to 13 volts. now...i dno about rolling windows up and down and whatnot tho :pardon:

yup..

nailed it.

lights run on a un-regulated power supply (battery/alt).

any kind of voltage drop and your lights will dim.

even steve, with his huuge charging system, you can notice the lights dim in his videos.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

i undertand that.. but for my lights to dim more with this new alt. sucks and shouldnt be doing that... i understand that the put out less at idle.. but when they still dim at 2500 rpm when they didnt before isnt good.

A couple of things to think about:

1) Incandescent lamps are very sensitive to voltage. A small change in voltage can make a noticable change in light output. You may be "seeing" a .6 volt swing.

2) The OEM electrical system is a skimpy as they can make it. The wire that feeds the entire dash & interior may only be 12 gauge. Since the window motors can draw 20 amps when they stall, you will see some dimming. The factory knows the window load is a short term load, and allows the wiring harness to be "overloaded" for short periods. They save 75 cents per car in copper... multiplied by millions of cars.

You should check your OEM power connections to be sure they are clean & in good shape.

Check the system voltage inside the car, on the OEM bus. Use the lighter socket, and measure the voltage with your DMM. Then roll the windows up and watch the meter...

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

A couple of things to think about:

1) Incandescent lamps are very sensitive to voltage. A small change in voltage can make a noticable change in light output. You may be "seeing" a .6 volt swing.

2) The OEM electrical system is a skimpy as they can make it. The wire that feeds the entire dash & interior may only be 12 gauge. Since the window motors can draw 20 amps when they stall, you will see some dimming. The factory knows the window load is a short term load, and allows the wiring harness to be "overloaded" for short periods. They save 75 cents per car in copper... multiplied by millions of cars.

You should check your OEM power connections to be sure they are clean & in good shape.

Check the system voltage inside the car, on the OEM bus. Use the lighter socket, and measure the voltage with your DMM. Then roll the windows up and watch the meter...

'Link

x2.

If your voltage is at 14.1 at all RPMs, there isn't an amperage deficiency. It is more likely a wiring or ground difficiency for the window motors. Those things draw quite a bit you know... (often more than 20 amps each)