Need Help Choosing New Computer....

if you can add a little bit more

this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1204332257046

has 8400m gs graphics card so you can play the latest games at least even at low settings.

because if you choose the onboard video you won't be able to play the latest games.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1213046783513

this one has a ati 3870 video card. imo this might be the best choice even though you have to add more.

as much as possible get the laptop that has a dedicated video card if you want to play games

True!!! Saw those, but they are out of his price range.

AudioControl
Rockford Fosgate
XSPower

a9cb521a-b3b0-4848-8950-41c45879dd3f_zps

oops double post my bad

Edited by kentb

Which ever. Not my money. its his..

I just would never buy another dell, unless its from the xps line of laptops, because now its all alienware in a dell case. otherwise its build my own desktop.. Is sport a acer or toshiba without a doubt before another laptop. Ive been looking for something cheap and used, just to run a termlab and even still wont buy a dell. But its just me.

When I got my laptops the first thing I did was wiped them out. Got rid of all the BS software on them, same with any prebuilt pc from hp, dell, gateway, sony, compaq, acer, toshiba. You have backups off all the supplied programs if you do need them, but otherwise I dont want that crap lagging down my pc or any old registry files.

Id rather have more cpu speed over memory any day of the week. I run a 2 gig kit in my desktop and never had a need for more yet, and can play all games at max values.

Video is my next concern. If your ever wanting to play any sort of game on your laptop you are very limited.

On board video sucks major ass so I totally agree on that, but the dell video compaired to the sony is horrible, thats why I also asked if he puts money towards that $900 if he can go with something more expensive and get something that does not run onboard video.

but the dell x3100 with up to 358mb of shared memory is weak compaired to the sony 4500mhd with up to 1340mb of shared memory. Video memory is very important when it comes to good video rendering with video editing and some games.

I could careless about the webcam megapixel, thats something Id never use, dont know about the OP tho.

I just know the wifi is something nice to have if your on the go a lot.

My buddy that goes to a lot of shows has wifi on his laptop that he uses his termlab on, and its nice being able to goto random shows and still have internet access that he can borrow.

Besides, if he has problems with any computer he gets, he has that geeksquad support...... Lol

Most likely the computer has to be in bestbuy inventory or stock..

The red sony viao isnt to shappy, but I was browsing more.

This one is a silver sony viao, and the same price I think you would be more pleased with it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1211587729137

Your gaining a faster processor speed, both are core 2 duo mobile but this one is 2.26mhz vs the 2.00mhz.

Tho the cd-rw burner is a tad slower, but not nothing to make you want it.

Other pros:

bigger monitor! 16.4" vs 14.1.

hdmi output (other has none, not even s-video).

wi-fi

Cons:

The tad slower burn speed

and about a pound heavier.

no bluetooth

Another thing I would check on is if your allowed to put more money towards the $900 they will allow you to spend, so if you had a spare $300, you might be even to get something a bit nicer so then you will be getting pratically a upgrade for only a few hundred extra.

Id stick with the Viao's tho, they are a great computer, and seem to hold their value better then some other brands(hp, dell, gateway). And Ive never been a fan of hp or compaq (same company). Dells are alright, last I heard they bought out alienware and they are using the old alienware guts in the xps line of their computers now, but dont remember it all for sure..

ok i like that one too. I agree i have had problems with Compaq's and Gateways... Dells arew horrible... my girlfreinds comp wont even stay one without the charger plugged in and always overheats and shuts off... I have no experience with sony computers but every other thing that i have bought sony i have liked... except their headphones.

READ THIS.DONT GET SONY!!!!!my friend bought one and only gave him trouble.go for Acer or Dell not sony

Need more info here... my GF's dell sucks and so does the Desktop at her place... My freinds mom has an acer and its slow as shit and wont hold a charge.

X2!!! Sony laptops and PCs are over priced BS!!! Customer service sucks! Go with the Dell that I posted the link to above.

I need a better explanation than customer service stinks.

I got a dell laptop, it's a madman. My last two computers were customized dells, and as long as noone touched them but me (such as the laptop I'm on now) they never had any problems whatsoever, and are very fast. My laptop now is the quickest compy I ever used, it has a battery life of 5+ hours watching movies, a good dvd and cd burner, bluray, great graphics and a little thing that is rare with laptops, while it makes virtually no noise from the fan at all, it remains cooler than any comp I've every used. Just a heads up.

not a fan of dell

Ive had 2 dell inspirons 1100, and a 1200. Not to menching a dell rackmount server. I didnt care for either of the labtops, traded 1 for a 1990 car that needed a motor the server is kinda cool, but lacking on hard drive space.

That dells video is weak compaired to both sonys!

And the video memory is only expandable to 358, where the sonys you can expand it to over 1000mb shared memory.

No video outputs.

Smaller screen.

But hey I guess it atleast has a bigger harddrive, not that 250 is not enough..

my old comp had 180G but i never filled it up. i used 30 with itunes alone att ime for not deleting podcasts.

another thing... just checked and i have 800 to spend not 900.... if the allow me to add the extra 100 to get what i want imma go for it but yea if not this sucks... lol

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!

Fucked up story:

Well... as I got to BestBuy my hopes were quickly shot done to the ground and curb stomped...

They told me that my warrenty covers my computer for technology not value... So I could take a computer to equal to lesser technological value. So pretty much it was done by harddrive. My old comp had an upgraded harddrive of 100 gigs since it came with 80 gigs. I padi $849.00 for the computer, $219.00 for the upgraded harddrive, and $299.00 for this "warrenty". so since I did take up two years of the warrenty I can understand that I dont get a new one but I would atleast expect my left over months to roll over on to this computer I was givin. it was not. Anyway. just my computer and my harddrive costed almost $1100

The guy tells me that the only computer they can give me is this Compaq: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218010578770

He says it is by far better than the one I had before. I didnt care since the price tag was $600 less than what I spent....

I had no other choice it was either take this thing or put $450 toward another computer in the store even though I originally spent $1100...

Now I would understand all of this a little better if the things that happened to my original computer happened when it was in my hands but none did. I turned it in for a broken hinge and they bring it back without the fan plugged in. take it back because after the fan was fixed the computer would over heat, freeze, and shut off. Now they tell me my hard drive is fried which i know is wrong because i was able to upload and download songs, video and everything the day i gave it to them...Everything that happened to my computer was their fault not mine and they fix it with $450.

The guy actually said this "look at it this way, if you came in here today with $1100 and had a picture of your old computer and said this is the one you wanted i would recomend you to this one anyway and its better so in a way you arent at loss." I say i would of spent the money i could have on something i wanted. Then he says "Screens the same size"... My girlfreind asks him what the mark up is on the computers and he stutters and then tells her that Best Buy loses money everytime the sell a computer... he said they lose $50 each computer the sell... i found this funny because they sold roughly 4-5 computers while i was there alone so the store lost $200 in 2 hours? lmao i couldnt believe this guy..Its also kinda odd that after he goes and talks to his manager about my situation he comes back and tells me the only computer i could have was the cheapest on they had...

but yea i took the compaq and its not too bad even though the thing doesnt have an sd card slot like my old one did or any of the nice things my computer did and that its ugly...

but yea. Fuck Beast Buy and Fuck the Geek Squad...

Edited by NoFearX18

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!

That sucks.. For real tho, they are trying to settle you on a cheap ass pc... It dont go buy technologoy of the computer it goes by cost.. How many cars did the istallers mess up and have to get the people a new car, lots. And people didnt get some pinto for their brand new honda that was messed up..

Hopefully you didnt settle on a computer yet, becasue Id fight it, and take it to their corperate offices...

Bestbuy sells everything at MSRP. Their prices are much higher then other places that are not corperate stores. They dont lose $50 on every computer they sell, if they did they wouldnt be in business...

They are trying to bend you over and shove a 2 foot cock up where there sun dont shine :(

That sucks.. For real tho, they are trying to settle you on a cheap ass pc... It dont go buy technologoy of the computer it goes by cost.. How many cars did the istallers mess up and have to get the people a new car, lots. And people didnt get some pinto for their brand new honda that was messed up..

Hopefully you didnt settle on a computer yet, becasue Id fight it, and take it to their corperate offices...

Bestbuy sells everything at MSRP. Their prices are much higher then other places that are not corperate stores. They dont lose $50 on every computer they sell, if they did they wouldnt be in business...

They are trying to bend you over and shove a 2 foot cock up where there sun dont shine :(

Yea but then they found it in my warrenty and showed it to me... They are right... It does go by technology. Im just pissed because none of this would of happened if my hindge on my other computer didnt lock up and break and then the geek squads ruined it.

its some bs.

yes i am stuck with the compaq...

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!