Hello I am new here and i have a need for more power. I own a 99 4.3L v6 s10 I have a small System and my stock setup handles it just fine. But i recently added 4 off road lights on a light bar and extra brakes lights and back up lights. When truck is at 1k rpm or better voltage does not drop. But while sitting at a stop light voltages drops dramatically without the lights on. The new addition of brakes lights seems to pull alot of power even though i set them up just to be like lights on a trailer. When on the brakes and with blinkers on the voltage will pulse up and down with them. Every thing is wired properly checked several times. Well now to my question it seems that i need more power at low idle will a 2 alt setup help me out? I never run the lights with out the truck running so im hoping that the 2 alts will help them plenty. What im wondering is the Amps the stock alt can produce and if 2 stock ones would be the cheapest way. I can get a stock alt for around 50 easy. And the mounting i can deal with i can machine the brackets. Ive seen some one mount the alt right beside the other one just infront of the throttle body.

Hello I am new here and i have a need for more power. I own a 99 4.3L v6 s10 I have a small System and my stock setup handles it just fine. But i recently added 4 off road lights on a light bar and extra brakes lights and back up lights. When truck is at 1k rpm or better voltage does not drop. But while sitting at a stop light voltages drops dramatically without the lights on. The new addition of brakes lights seems to pull alot of power even though i set them up just to be like lights on a trailer. When on the brakes and with blinkers on the voltage will pulse up and down with them. Every thing is wired properly checked several times. Well now to my question it seems that i need more power at low idle will a 2 alt setup help me out? I never run the lights with out the truck running so im hoping that the 2 alts will help them plenty. What im wondering is the Amps the stock alt can produce and if 2 stock ones would be the cheapest way. I can get a stock alt for around 50 easy. And the mounting i can deal with i can machine the brackets. Ive seen some one mount the alt right beside the other one just infront of the throttle body.

adding another alternator will help or getting one good 150-240 amp alt will do or look into changing out your current stock pulley and putting on a smaller one so you can achieve more idle power.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

I agree... A second stocker would work good, as well as a smaller pulley. Either way, I'd hook up with the missinglink guys on here and get a module. That should help quite a bit as well.

Your stock alt is a 105 amp CS130D. (about 70 at idle) A seccond alternator would definitely fix your problem, but a simple pulley change might be enough. If you would like a price quote on an inexpensive overdrive pulley, PM me. Otherwise, a seccond alt would definitely fix it if you don't mind spending the time/money to build a bracket.

Many alternators just require a single "turn on wire", or you can just use an aftermarket one wire alternator for the sccond unit, and it will turn itself on and off.

Is the MLA module required for two alternators to function normally? I checked my alternator it is a simple main power out and a one small wire i assume it's for the computer to manage power output.

All your alt info from WAI.Alternator 6 4.3 262 W All DELCO 10480251 1-2156-21DR-1 DR CS130D 100 amps

By using a module your alts would be ran from one module and use the same turn on wire for a more accurate "factory controlled" power on set up. The module works as a plug and play for your set up , and no need to spend money on a new HO alt use the factory alts with more voltage and you will be fine. Alts @15volts and a new battery (if needed)should solve all your issues for sure and help keep a low budget as well. Check your batts resting voltage (12.8/13v )would be a good charged battery.

You would have a more stable , easier working alt set up with two stock alts over one HO for sure. Also looks cooler than a single alt FTW :D .

If your interested or have more questions you can call or PM us.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Cool thank you all for your input for now i have to replace my rusted out gas tank. The top has a hole in it from the salt on the roads in Maine so after that ill be looking for a alt and get it all mounted up i will most likely post some picks because i don't hear of many 4.3L with a dual alt setup. As for my bat it's old on it's last year of use judge by the date and i plane to get a dual purpose bat with top and side mounts.

Cool thank you all for your input for now i have to replace my rusted out gas tank. The top has a hole in it from the salt on the roads in Maine so after that ill be looking for a alt and get it all mounted up i will most likely post some picks because i don't hear of many 4.3L with a dual alt setup. As for my bat it's old on it's last year of use judge by the date and i plane to get a dual purpose bat with top and side mounts.

Keep us posted. Look up 00sdime00 on here he runs 3 alts on a s-10 with a module.

MLA

Edited by missinglink

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...