Sundown Audio

Memphis 4kw Question

jagblazer01

I've heard that its not the best to do daily for those amps...they sure as hell are beasts tho...But if u must run them high, please make sure u got the batts to back them up...i also live near Bmore...thats whats up ;)

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

I've heard that its not the best to do daily for those amps...they sure as hell are beasts tho...But if u must run them high, please make sure u got the batts to back them up...i also live near Bmore...thats whats up ;)

haha yea.....us MD guys rule lol

They can handle 16 volt without problems, with the batteries charging at 18+ volts.

Be sure to have a good battery bank. 4+ 16 volts batteries per amp at least.

well i guess I wont be doing 16v then bc Im running 2 in the back of my truck and dont have enough room for that many batteries lol

VbjgkeI.jpg

F6CNB9e.jpg
Team Sundown Audio / Team XS Power / Team SHOK

SMD Super Buyer/Seller

www.sundownaudio.com

www.shokindustries.com

www.4xspower.com

www.excessiveamperage.com

If its for a daily driver install 16volt is kinda pointless.

The added heat, and sometimes stabability issues, its not worth it.

Although you may think you dont have the space, Im sure you do, your not thinking creatively enough :)

Running a dry cell battery means you can mount them in almost any position except upside down. So you can lay the batteries on their sides, then start stacking them up.

Id recomend a good aftermarket alternator, 250 amps or so, and maybe a MLA unit. One that will tell your alternator to charge at 15.5- 15.7 volts cold (which would be about 15-15.2 volts hot). Then have some good gel cells in the ride. Optimas at least, but perferble a powermaster.

If you teach your batteries, you can get them taught to hold a 13.8 volt rest charge while the car is off. How you do this, is just put your batteries on a charger for a long period of straight time (like 2 weeks) on a slow trickle charge at 2 amps, in manual mode if your charger has it (if it dont, your charger will stop charging when the batteries are full). Then periodicly plug your battery charge in, and let it charge the batts over night or when you are not using the vehicle.

The reason I say so many 16 volt batteries is for a couple reasons.

The 16 volt batteries such as PowerMaster and kinetik is because the AH rating (amps per hour) is nearly have that of a larger PM D3100 or a K HC2400 battery, and the amperage that they put out is much lower. Not to mention the mojo 4ks do rated plus power, but they are current hogs and demand the power or they may release magic smoke.

Now if your going to go and use cheaper flooded batteries like taking 2 8volt trojans and series them together for 16 volts, your going to need even more (lots more). Not only will you need 2 batteries to make 1 16 volt battery, you will probolly need to close to 12 or maybe more. Not to mention that since they are flooded batteries they can only be installed standing straight up.

16 volt setups can be a pain.

Not only are you needing a aftermarket alternator capible of producing that kind of voltage, your going to need a regulator (some alt companies have adjustable regulators built into the alts but you have to reach around on the back of the alt to change your voltage(this can be a pain in some instals), while other companies offer a external regulator with a knob you can put where ever).

After you got your alt and voltage regulators, you need to figure out the max amperage draw your vehicle has (headlights, a/c, heat, radio, wipers, etc all on). Once you know that, you can go shopping for step down regulators. Yes I said it, step down regulators... After you spent money upping your voltage, now you gotta step it back down for your vehicles every day electrical components or they will fry. Most step down regulators only offer around a 100 amp peak draw, so depending on your vehicle you may need to run 2 regulators (there about $100 each)...

well damn lol.....i think ill just stick with a 12v setup. I already have 4 kinetik 2400s and a EA 300amp alt. So it may just be worth my while to stick with a 12v setup

VbjgkeI.jpg

F6CNB9e.jpg
Team Sundown Audio / Team XS Power / Team SHOK

SMD Super Buyer/Seller

www.sundownaudio.com

www.shokindustries.com

www.4xspower.com

www.excessiveamperage.com

and an amp thats not overpriced like that memphis is

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

and an amp thats not overpriced like that memphis is

Memphis holds up to their reputation very well...given u have a good electrical going...

However like i said before, u may want to upgrade ur electrical first so u can protect your investment :D

Set yourself up for success ;)

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

they may have a reputation. but its overpriced.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/