Tl Vs Ac...

Guys I need some basic TL vs AC meter advice. Not sure how to search for this.

The ONLY way I'm gonna get my PT metered other than buying a TL, (ain't gonna happen! :P ) is if this local shop lets me test on their AC meter. So from what I've read I can expect the AC to be at least 5-7 db higher than a TL.

What about that sensitivity knob, where SHOULD it be set, dead center? All the way low?

If the shop lets me test with it, I'll take some pics of the display with the knob position.

I plan to try both HHR Eds bassrace tracks (at 40hz and 50 hz), Jeezy's Hypnotize , and maybe a few tones if they let me have enough time to play around.

I just really want to know what I am working with, only way to get the sucker any louder is with new subs and amps, and that ain't gonna happen either!

Just looking to learn something here by metering.

Shop owner said that he uses the AC meter but has not responded to my question if they charge to let people test on it.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

its all pretty dependant on what they have it calibrated to. its pretty impossible to give a definite number difference though between the 2.

Thanks James,

I saw a vid on ROE where they tested back to back with a TL and with the knob all the way up it was a 15 db difference, I think.

The guy is a SQ guy from what I have heard, so I am not sure if he uses the SPL measurement often or not, the RTA part might get more use for him.

When you say "calibrated to" are you talking a reference range that it has to be in or a specific SPL measurement? If I ask the guy I guess he should know?

This is the ONLY meter anywhere around here, so it's all I got to try.

Not looking to impress anyone, just want to know what it is doing in general.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

well last time i used a ac i was 10db lower so its a toss up as to how off it will be

TEAM NEMESIS

my system

1) us amps MD3D, us amps md21

2) kicker solo x 12 in 2.7ft^3 at 37hz

Meca scores

1 xxx12" 141.8db at 40hz,

1 18 rd alpha v.2 145 db at 38hz , 2 12 orion hp 144.9 at 43hz

Refs: hollatchaboy, schrummy, nitro_freak1,Brandon15zzz,Hellbound Train

If you know how to use the AC it can be fairly accurate... finding someone who knows how to use it can be a chore. The shop down the street has a TL and our mic after being calibrated this summer was usually 2-4db higher.

When they are talking about calibrated it means actually sending out the mic out and getting it recalibrated(i don't think we sent the analyzer too... but i could be wrong). Also check what mic they have.. if it's not a 180 or 190 don't even bother.

Edited by Shyne151

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

• 1 month later...

the biggest question that needs to be asked is which termlab vs which audiocontrol?

old termlab? termlab.net? termlab usb? audiocontrol sa-3055? audiocontrol sa-3055a? new audiocontrol? audiocontrol epic 150/160? new audiocontrol sensor? old audiocontrol stick mic?

Edited by Hugh G. Rection

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Thanks, turns out there is a guy about 1 hour south of me that bought himself a new Termlab, and charges $15-$30 for a testing session, he plans to have test days with it, and since he is apparently the only one in central Texas willing to, he should do pretty well. :D

I am waiting to see if he is going to have a day where there will be several cars there, cause he probably won't charge as much.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG