I wanna learn how to paint and I have a project truck so if I mess up I can strip the paint and restart, but I have a few questions.

First of all materials.

I was looking at this gun, but I know HarborFreights isn't the best so any input?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=94572

I already have a compressor and plenty of hose.

Where can I get the primer, base, and clear online? Or locally? And how much of each will I need for a single cab Chevy 1500?

Should I get a block sander or orbital sander or what for wet sanding it?

The truck had all body work and paint done 5 years ago and sat for 3, so the body is fine but I replaced alot of parts and the parts that are still red is all dingy and different shades or red from sitting there so long. I plan on keeping it red for now until I pull the motor and interior later on so I can change it.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

If your just startin out, i was always told to do everything by hand, sanding wise. but idk if theres and O'Reillys near you, but about half the stores sell just about any kind of paint you could think of wanting

1997 S10 EC

Whats in it

106.9 Sq.ft. Hushmat

DB Elec. 250 amp alt.

HC800&HC1400

MLA Module

Alpine 9886

Knukonceptz wires

Clarion EQS746

poopy Alpine door co-ax's

Change IS Coming

If your just startin out, i was always told to do everything by hand, sanding wise. but idk if theres and O'Reillys near you, but about half the stores sell just about any kind of paint you could think of wanting

So get a sanding block? There is one about 30 minutes from me. I have an Advance about 5 minutes down the road and I know they sell duplicolor but I think they only sell by the quart and I'm not sure on how much to buy.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

• 3 months later...

If your repainting the truck there are many parts and factors you need to take into effect. First off for the equipment you need a water trap and dust filter for the hose otherwise the paint wont come out right no matter how much time you put into it. If its your first time then use hand tools and when you can use a orbital sander with very fine grit sand paper for final sanding before primer. The prep stage is the most important stage so make sure you take no shortcuts. make sure you have a larger enough compresser otherwise it just makes the job harder. The Gun i would suggest would be a DeVilbiss.

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

question...is it REQUIRED to be painted in a room? then bake it afterwards? or is it just more helpful to do so? i know to take wind and dust and stuff into consideration, but i'm just curious. i'm interested in painting my car a flat black sometime possibly

After primer,guide coat with spray paint lightly to find low or high spots while block sanding wet sand with a blocksander 220 320 360 400 etc keep it wet with a sponge and bucket of water or a hose makes for a very nice finish. Take your time prepping the ride is the most important part if you rush it you will regret it in the end.

PPG was the shit 15 years ago it probably still is today.

Sundown SAZ-3000

2 12" T3 DVC1ohm subs

58hz peak cabin frequency no deadner yet

box tuned to 38hz

BIG 3 upgrade

yamaha patio speakers rear fill

Alpine 9833 deck

PPI FRX-456 Crossover

PPI PAR-245 Preamp/EQ

PPI DEQ-30 Band EQ fronts

PPI tweets in kick panel

PPI 2-way's in kicks for now

0/GA 1 run front to back

Memphis 4 channel running rear speakers 75 X 4 only 2 channels used for now

Planet Audio 4 channel 75 X 4 running front speakers

146.7 db usaci drivers door open

163.3 db port challenge mic in port

2012 4door silverado

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...?showtopic=4606

pretty much the same thing as this guide, except for thats for painting plastics... same concept tho

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

After primer,guide coat with spray paint lightly to find low or high spots while block sanding wet sand with a blocksander 220 320 360 400 etc keep it wet with a sponge and bucket of water or a hose makes for a very nice finish. Take your time prepping the ride is the most important part if you rush it you will regret it in the end.

PPG was the shit 15 years ago it probably still is today.

Sorry homie. Dupont Chromabase is better. But I do agree with Scrubbalo on the prep. I would pefer hand sanding with a block on all the flat areas, and without a block on curves. but when hand sanding without a block make sure your hand is at a 45 degree angle and sand from side to side to elimanate finger groves.

Also dont finger F^%K chips. take your time and feather those out.....

My brother is a certified painter for Dupont and has painted numerous cars, including show trucks, and cars. His accomplishments include 1 place for Best Paint Street Class in 1995 with a 1981 Ford F-150 converted to a 1993. I will try and find the magazine that it was in and some pictures.

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear

dc_audio.jpg

autobody101.com <-- I learned alot from there and painted my 91 civic and it came out great using the gun from harbor frieght, a very small compressor and paint purchased from smartshoppersinc.com. I got my whole setup from them and only cost 220.00 shipped, I ended up with almost 3/4 gallon left over!