Second Skin Audio

12, 15 Or 18

siucsaluki11

Alright, so im printing a shitload of blueprints so i got some time to go lurking around the forums and think about my stereo and i had a realization.

I approximated the surface area of a single 10, 12, 15 and 18.

In my blazer i can fit 2 Fi BL or SSD 18s. That would have ~508 in^2 of cone area/surface area/whatever.

*all volumes are for ported enclosures*

(1) 10" =78.5 needs .5-1.2 cubes

(1) 12" =135 needs 1.8-2.5 cubes

(1) 15" ~176 needs 2.8-4 cubes

(1) 18" ~254 needs 5-10 cube

I was thinking of going with a pair of 18s in a 12ft^3 box. But looking at my options, i could get even more cone area with the same amount of space. The only downside is how much that increases the money needed to do the build/install when i do it.

Im on a fairly low income for now, only 20 and only get to work when im needed at the office. And im taking classes at acoustic edge jan-mar or apr, and wont be able to work while im doing that. The new system was originally going to be bought and put in soon, but Im kinda gunna need to save money for gas, bills, food and tobacco (would quit but dont feel like it and nic-fits suck balls)

I could fit 6 12s in my blazer if i designed the box right and layed it all out right. But i dont have that kind of budget i dont think. Well, im fairly sure. Those subs SSDs or BLs handle a dece amount of power, and that means id need to buy quite a few amps, and, well, ya, thats just gunna be expensive.

So should i run 2 18" BLs or SSDs or should i find myself 6 12s that will add up to the same amount of power as the 2 18s?

Another thought, 4 12s also has more area than a pair of 18s, and would use up less space possibly

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Alright, so im printing a shitload of blueprints so i got some time to go lurking around the forums and think about my stereo and i had a realization.

I approximated the surface area of a single 10, 12, 15 and 18.

In my blazer i can fit 2 Fi BL or SSD 18s. That would have ~508 in^2 of cone area/surface area/whatever.

*all volumes are for ported enclosures*

(1) 10" =78.5 needs .5-1.2 cubes

(1) 12" =135 needs 1.8-2.5 cubes

(1) 15" ~176 needs 2.8-4 cubes

(1) 18" ~254 needs 5-10 cube

I was thinking of going with a pair of 18s in a 12ft^3 box. But looking at my options, i could get even more cone area with the same amount of space. The only downside is how much that increases the money needed to do the build/install when i do it.

Im on a fairly low income for now, only 20 and only get to work when im needed at the office. And im taking classes at acoustic edge jan-mar or apr, and wont be able to work while im doing that. The new system was originally going to be bought and put in soon, but Im kinda gunna need to save money for gas, bills, food and tobacco (would quit but dont feel like it and nic-fits suck balls)

I could fit 6 12s in my blazer if i designed the box right and layed it all out right. But i dont have that kind of budget i dont think. Well, im fairly sure. Those subs SSDs or BLs handle a dece amount of power, and that means id need to buy quite a few amps, and, well, ya, thats just gunna be expensive.

So should i run 2 18" BLs or SSDs or should i find myself 6 12s that will add up to the same amount of power as the 2 18s?

Another thought, 4 12s also has more area than a pair of 18s, and would use up less space possibly

i am quite fond of teh 18's :D

Untitled-2.jpg

My Videos

AQ + AA/Fi FTMFW!!!!!

then do 5 12's in a M

And far as the best connection ever.......

get a huge fucking battery, cut the top off, drop an alt in there and then pour all that into your big amplifier. or just smelt them all together.

4 12's actually has less cone area then 2 18's

4 12's= approx. 1808.64

2 18's= approx. 2034.72

good call, punched in a wrong number when doing math, god damn these small laptops at work. I miss my 17" with my full keyboard at home. I swear to god the keys are smaller on this thing, they feel like it atleast, and its slow as balls, 1 GIG OF RAM FTMFW!!!!!!!!

But thank you for catching that.

I think itd be cool to be able to say bitch i got 6 12s, like the song, "I got six 12s" lol. But aslo just the size of 18s, damn, idk what to do. Ill probably go with the 18s purely for the fact it will be a shitload cheaper.

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

cinqo, i take it youre using cm^2 not in^2?

Well hey now siucsaluki, you never said what you were trying to accomplish ? Are you going for a straight up SPL system ? ....or an SQ system ? ...or somewhere in between ?

Of course no matter what speakers you go with, you should make sure you have the optimum cubes available for them (taking into account for the port and speaker cone volumes)

Now, you will hear again and again, how 15"s and 18"s can sound as tight and clean as 10"s and 12"s and that "it all depends on the enclosure build".... Hmmmm. I don't doubt that 15"s and 18"s can sound very good..... or even that 15"s or 18"s in the correct box, compared to 10"s or 12"s in a shitty box, will sound waaaay better....

But at the very least, I'd have to say 15"s and 18"s will sound "somewhat different" than 10"s and 12"s. That said, most guys shooting for SQ use "a single" 10", or 12", while guys shooting for SPL, might use 16 12"s, or 4 18"s....

So if your going for SPL, I think you can buy some good 18"s and (as long as you have the space) do whatever you have to, to make them work.

If your going for SQ, I think you should go listen to some 15"s or 18"s set up properly, for SQ first, and see if they produce the kind of sound you like...... Or, get some good 10"s or 12"s and do whatever you have to, to make those work for an SQ system.

Just my rambling thoughts,

Peace,

Fish

4 12's actually has less cone area then 2 18's

4 12's= approx. 1808.64

2 18's= approx. 2034.72

Your right on the fact that two 18' have more area then four 12's but its more like

452 for four 12's and 508 errr somwthing for two 18's

^^^^ perrty sure correct me if wrong plz.

Well hey now siucsaluki, you never said what you were trying to accomplish ? Are you going for a straight up SPL system ? ....or an SQ system ? ...or somewhere in between ?

Of course no matter what speakers you go with, you should make sure you have the optimum cubes available for them (taking into account for the port and speaker cone volumes)

Now, you will hear again and again, how 15"s and 18"s can sound as tight and clean as 10"s and 12"s and that "it all depends on the enclosure build".... Hmmmm. I don't doubt that 15"s and 18"s can sound very good..... or even that 15"s or 18"s in the correct box, compared to 10"s or 12"s in a shitty box, will sound waaaay better....

But at the very least, I'd have to say 15"s and 18"s will sound "somewhat different" than 10"s and 12"s. That said, most guys shooting for SQ use "a single" 10", or 12", while guys shooting for SPL, might use 16 12"s, or 4 18"s....

So if your going for SPL, I think you can buy some good 18"s and (as long as you have the space) do whatever you have to, to make them work.

If your going for SQ, I think you should go listen to some 15"s or 18"s set up properly, for SQ first, and see if they produce the kind of sound you like...... Or, get some good 10"s or 12"s and do whatever you have to, to make those work for an SQ system.

Just my rambling thoughts,

Peace,

Fish

sorry, i usually post over on Sounddomain.com, and its fairly well known im going for something loud. Im goin for a ground pounder. Its not a pure SPL setup, but its geared towards it pretty heavily. I dont want L7s cuz ive heard the SQ is crap. Ive heard great things about SSDs and BLs and any of Fi's products for that matter. But I'm mainly thinking if i go with 2 18s im going with the BLs. Im going for output, but id still like it to sound...decent. Not amazing, i want amazing output, not as much as mr meade has, but still more than i currently have. My clarions i got now still put out a good amount. I cant imagine what meade's car sounds like.

So ya, going for a ground pounder, pretty loud. I got the room for 2 18s. Its a 2000 chevy blazer 4dr. Im keeping the rear seats and parting with the cargo area, which i did for the pair of 12s anyway since i didnt want them to get damaged or anything.

Oh ya, itd be nice to pull of a hairtrick maybe...but im not so sure thatll happen with 2 18" BLs in a S-10 blazer...

EDIT: And i dont mean a ground pounder that has 4 18s and a shitload of power. Im lookin for something that is respectable and loud. Eventually id like to break a 150. I dont know what im at now. I got a buddy who has hit a 131.x in a comp, in his little plastic window jeep wrangler. And my stereo is way louder and im fairly sure creats more SPL, seeing as it physically hurts your ears more, not cus its loud necessarily, but you can feel pressure building up, and it can be quite painful, as you all know, even from my clarions. I gotta say i think i did pretty damned good with my system for only spending $400

Archived