Getting That Resting Voltage Up

Guest DC Power Kyle

Nah, thing is it's in use in my car... thats why i was wondering how long it would need to float charge to remember the floating voltage.

12.8v is a fine resting voltage by far, multi battery banks tend to level out over all batteries. If you have the time to unhook and test the batteries resting voltage seperate you could see which if any batteries are weak. Unhook your batteries and let them set over night , in the morning before ever starting or hooking them back up use your volt meter to check all batteries , you should be able to tell if any batteries are pulling down your bank. Give your system time to adjust to the module and alt and it will condition the batteries the same way. Main reason chargers work so well is while its charging you are not running the stereo and its getting a chance to charge. Driving a few days without banging the audio will help just the same. Most people I know me included we slam the audio till we park the car which allows no time for the alt to put back into what has been taking out.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

i went on a three day trip and left the three bats in my "mini bank" on a 1A charger.

come home and they're sitting at 14.2 and still cool to the touch :D

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I don't understand why people care about the resting voltage of a battery. Seems dumb really.... Who goes around only using battery power, don't your vehicles have alternators???? Thats the voltage that you guys really need to get up. Or am I missing something???

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

I don't understand why people care about the resting voltage of a battery. Seems dumb really.... Who goes around only using battery power, don't your vehicles have alternators???? Thats the voltage that you guys really need to get up. Or am I missing something???

Street class dbdrag. One battery, car not allowed to run.

Just one reason :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

another reason is if you just have a stock alt or even a ho alt with no mla module or any sort of adjustable reagulator if you get that voltage up, your alternator will charge at a little bit higher voltage. So instead of having a 12 volt battery charging at 13.8 volts, you may have a 12.6 volt charging at 14.4. But it really depends on the vehicle.

also having a higher float voltage will help your battery voltage out when banging at full tilt, you will see slightly less voltage drop.

Tiny things like this help you get that extra few tenths on the meter that your looking for... Like duct tape around the sub...

edit: It works the best on brand new never used batteries, but you can still get a good charge on used batteries.

But the thing that as important that you have to have a manual setting on your charger or it wont work to great. The manual setting will keep the charger charging even when the battery charger is saying it is full, and a low 2 amp constant charge wont damage the batteries.

Theres a lot of people in Drag that do this also since they dont run a alternator (robs horse power) and then everything in the car is all hopped up and draws so much just to run the car.

Street class dbdrag. One battery, car not allowed to run.

Just one reason :)

Yes true, I already knew that but no where did he say he competes in that class.

another reason is if you just have a stock alt or even a ho alt with no mla module or any sort of adjustable reagulator if you get that voltage up, your alternator will charge at a little bit higher voltage. So instead of having a 12 volt battery charging at 13.8 volts, you may have a 12.6 volt charging at 14.4. But it really depends on the vehicle.

also having a higher float voltage will help your battery voltage out when banging at full tilt, you will see slightly less voltage drop.

Tiny things like this help you get that extra few tenths on the meter that your looking for... Like duct tape around the sub...

edit: It works the best on brand new never used batteries, but you can still get a good charge on used batteries.

But the thing that as important that you have to have a manual setting on your charger or it wont work to great. The manual setting will keep the charger charging even when the battery charger is saying it is full, and a low 2 amp constant charge wont damage the batteries.

Theres a lot of people in Drag that do this also since they dont run a alternator (robs horse power) and then everything in the car is all hopped up and draws so much just to run the car.

His sig said he has a MLA at 15v.

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Yes true, I already knew that but no where did he say he competes in that class.

His sig said he has a MLA at 15v.

Your question wasn't directed at why HE wanted to do it, it was why PEOPLE wanted to do it. And now you have plenty of good reasons :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Guest KyleCannon

Thanks for the replies everyone. Honestly, I learned a little bit :)

So, should I invest in a manual 1 or 2 amp charger? Or should I just float charge on the PM charger for a week or so? Because I can probably go to costco and grab a battery for a week or two and let the baby charge. :) Tell me what you think.

Resting voltage just lets you see what your batteries are doing and if they are holding and/or getting a full charge. This is the main reason low resting voltage means your chits not charged is all. 12.8v resting is about 90-95% charged. 13v would be full. 13.3v where mine rest is like topping off your gas tank till you reach the cap then one more click.

You can tell alot about your systems performance by its resting voltage as well.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Archived