Battery Questions

Ok so I am upgrading my stereo setup right now, and I know I must upgrade my electrical setup. I will be running one "12 fi btl fully loaded, and a sundown saz-3000d. I am going to be doing the "big three" on my next day off. I know that I should get a ho alternator, but I would like to see if there is an alternative by running 2 batteries. Basically the alternator will be my last resort.

So my questions are:

1. I am upgrading my battery under the hood, and also adding a second in my trunk. So I am a little confused about the whole deep cycle thing. Do i use a normal starter battery up front, with a deep cycle in the trunk, or deep cycle for both batteries?

2. What battery setup do you think would be the optimal setup for this situation, given I am trying to spend less than $500 on both batteries (brand, and model would be nice).

Car is a 94 acura legend.

If you do 2 batteries just make sure both batteries are the same brand and type.

The only reason you would need deep cycle is if you plan on playing the stereo with the car OFF for long periods of time.

You will be fine with 2 AGM type batteries off of the stock alternator.

I suggest looking at Power Master batteries. You can choose the battery for up front that will best fit the factory battery dimensions.

Then choose a larger battery in the back, like a PM XS 2400 or even 3100.

Use multiple runs of 0 awg wire between the alternator and both batts.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Ok so I am upgrading my stereo setup right now, and I know I must upgrade my electrical setup. I will be running one "12 fi btl fully loaded, and a sundown saz-3000d. I am going to be doing the "big three" on my next day off. I know that I should get a ho alternator, but I would like to see if there is an alternative by running 2 batteries. Basically the alternator will be my last resort.

So my questions are:

1. I am upgrading my battery under the hood, and also adding a second in my trunk. So I am a little confused about the whole deep cycle thing. Do i use a normal starter battery up front, with a deep cycle in the trunk, or deep cycle for both batteries?

biggest agm under the hood u can fit, looks like ur a group 34.... and pm 24/27/34 or kinetik 2400 or stinger 21502. What battery setup do you think would be the optimal setup for this situation, given I am trying to spend less than $500 on both batteries (brand, and model would be nice).

look into deka intimidators if price is a concern

Car is a 94 acura legend.

u should get the alt first

an alt charges ur batts, but if ur batts are too big or too many, a stock alt doesnt produce enough amperage to recharge the batts... add an amp pullin 300a and u got problems... start with the alt

iirc the sundown 3000 pulls 300a, the max current of most 1/0 wire is 300a so doing two runs would be ideal of positive from front bat to rear bat, alt to bat and grounds, just like hhr ed said

if u want things done correctly

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

thanks for the replies. Looks like there's no way around not gettin a new alternator. Guess its gonna be an alternator and a second battery for me. The highest amp alernator i found was 180, which was on ebay. Not that many ho alternators for my car. Does anyone know of any other places that would have a ho alternator for my acura? Im still open to the 2 battery idea!

With the SAZ-3000D, even if you put 2 extra batteries in the trunk, without a HO alt, you will just drain the batteries with the current that thing draws. One HO alt and one battery in the trunk (Kinetik HC2400 or Powermaster D3100) and I'd put the biggest (kinetik or powermaster) under the hood that will fit. I put a Kinetik HC1800 under the hood, I have a DC Power 250a HO Alt about to go in w/MLA and I'll put 2 Kinetik HC2400's in the trunk when I do the box build. All that to run 1 SAZ-3000D and 3 SAX-100.4D's

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

definitely invest in the MLA if you got the cheddar

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Archived