Second Skin Audio

Dmm Impedence Q?

MaX

Ok, this is more than likely a stupid question(but hey, they're easiest to answer :P)

anyways, I know that my subs are 1 ohm dvc...and I wired them series to a 1 ohm final load also, so my question is...

could I take my DMM and hook it up to the speaker wires to make sure that its at a 1 ohm load? or would it not read right?

<div align='center'>03 RAV4

18" DC Level 4 XL

Knukonceptz 1/0 gauge

AudioQue 2200D

6.25 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hz

DB Linc 200 Amp H/O ALT

1/0 BIG III</div>

it would read CLOSE but not perfect.

with a DMM your measuring DC resistance not AC impedance so a 2ohm coil might read 2.2 on the DMM

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

Ok, this is more than likely a stupid question(but hey, they're easiest to answer :P)

anyways, I know that my subs are 1 ohm dvc...and I wired them series to a 1 ohm final load also, so my question is...

could I take my DMM and hook it up to the speaker wires to make sure that its at a 1 ohm load? or would it not read right?

should read about .7ohm 1ohm voicecoils are actually .7ohm.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

Even easier, put the leads on the amps speaker output screws when hooked up to see the total reading

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

Even easier, put the leads on the amps speaker output screws when hooked up to see the total reading

Depending on the amp this can give a slightly funky reading.

First things first, set the DMM to it's lowest possible resistance setting then touch the probes together. The reading will jump to 0 but if you hold the probes for a while (10-15 seconds) the reading will slowly rise to show the true resistance of the leads + the multimeter's circuitry (unless you have something badass like a Fluke and it's calibrated)

Say it comes to 0.2 ohms...

The measure the resistance of your sub + it's wires. Again make sure you let the reading settle.

Then subtract the number you got for the shorted probes and you have a pretty good idea of actual resistance.

As mentioned above, a sub's DCR is usually slightly lower than the nominal impedance... 0.7 ohms per, uh, ohm is about right.

Eg. I had a dual 1.5 sub and my meter reads 0.6 ohms @ short circuit.

With the coils paralleled I get a final reading of 1.2 ohms - subtract 0.6 and you get 0.6 ohms resistance which is about right for a 0.75 nominal impedance.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived