Resistors And Capacitors

So I never understood coils/ caps/ and resistors. I need help and couldn’t really find good information about this on the net. Can anyone explain and help me determine what I exactly need?

I need to learn this for the future I did my system completely myself but lack in this department.

I have a set of Seas H1397-04 27TAFNC/D Compact neodymium magnet tweeters I want to replace with the same. Blew the ones I had due to not having any capacitors or resistors connected to them.

There connected to the mids which are connected to the amp should I get a crossover for them or would this be ok the amp is a Xtant 603X

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE

SEAS Tweeters Specs

h1397.2.jpgfseasprestigel_449x256_485fdd7c4166e635b18f0ca0df37818b.jpg

1999 - 2Door Chevy Tahoe

Kenwood KVT 915-DVD II 15” RE XXX (Fi Recone) II Components/ Center channel: Seas Audio, ScanSpea&k Dayton Reference II

Amp’s: Xtant – 603 & 1001 Chipped & Tuned II

Misc. Team PowerMaster Batt Cell, Xstatic 2000 Batcap, Street wires Zero Oxygen RCA Cables, 0 Gauge through out II Security Clifford Intelliguard 770

You need a capacitor to act as a high-pass filter.

You don't want frequencies below about 3khz going to your tweets so thats why they need a crossover.

There's plenty of calculators out there on the net - just find the capacitor value for a 3.5khz high-pass crossover and you're in business.

Admittedly you're better off to find/buy a proper 2-way crossover, if your mids are trying to play 3k+ they will be screechy as hell.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

you dont really need to know anything about these electronic components to do a system.

what you need is a crossover to filter out the bass to your tweeters. The crossover can be a passive type (basically a small cap) or can be active (which is a processor before the amp, or built into the amp.)

A small cap will filter out low frequencies, and depending on the exact frequency you want to filter out, and on what slope, and depending on what the impedance of the tweeter is, you may need a resister combined in the circuit to correct the impedance.

A resistor impedes the flow of current in a circuit.

A coil will filter out high frequencies going to a mid or subwoofer. Again, impedance may need to be corrected.

If you do not have any experience in electronics, dont worry about that, just go buy a crossover, they usually come with component sets . Or you can buy them seperate.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

You'll need a non polar capacitor for a high pass crossover. Search around and you'll find some good info on what values equal what frequency cutoff, and you can just order them from online for cheap.

I'd definitely try your local shops first for them, sometimes the locals will refer to them as "bass blockers" and in our case the guys that worked in our local shop didn't know the difference as to cutoff range for the two they sold. So take a chart with you. ;)

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Archived