Mechman Alternators

Question About My Alt

So the alt w/ the smaller pulley would turn the alt 3.71x's faster instead of 3.2x's faster than the motor? If so, thats not worth poop... Need some clarification here...

Why would that not be worth poop? Depending on the alternator, that can be a difference of 30 - 80 amp improvement at idle.

I just realized that 8Duece's car is equiped with V-belt anyway. You can't put any smaller of a pulley on it than it already comes with.

The overdrive pulley I have advertized in the other thread is for Serpentine belt applications only.

how would it not be, hell id have insane idle output if that was my ratio

Ok. Think about it. For example...

If your car is idled at a 1000rpm, at 3.2x's faster would put the alt at 3200rpm.

Same car idle of 1000rpm, at 3.7x's would put the alt at 3700rpm.

At this rpm, thats only a difference of 500rpm at the alt. With my alt from MechMan thats only ups the amps to about 175 from 160ish. Thats far from "insane". However, if a smaller pulley was offered that'd work, I'd buy it b/c I like every inch I can get. I'm just sayin thats not very impressive if that truely is the difference. Thats why I asked for clarification...

If your car is idled at a 1000rpm, at 3.2x's faster would put the alt at 3200rpm.

At this rpm, thats only a difference of 500rpm at the alt. With my alt from MechMan thats only ups the amps to about 175 from 160ish. Thats far from "insane". However, if a smaller pulley was offered that'd work, I'd buy it b/c I like every inch I can get. I'm just sayin thats not very impressive if that truely is the difference. Thats why I asked for clarification...

i dont understant your logic bro. at idle, thats big imo. and we're not talking 1k rpm here, more like 600-800 rpm for this output.

i dont know what you're playing with, but maybe you should bestow it upon us.

ascendant.jpglogo.jpgteamsundown-1.jpgDCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

If your car idled at 1000 rpm you wouldn't need an overdrive pulley. Heck if it idles at 800 rpm, you wouldn't have a probelm. Your engine probably idles around 600 rpm in gear, which is why you only notice a dip in voltage when you hit the brakes. Like I said, it is a mute point anyway, we ship our units with the smallest reccomended pulley anyway. You can't go any smaller on a v-belt application.

If your vehicle idles at 500 rpm, which is where many late model vehicles idle, and your OEM pulley ratio is 2.6:1 (which is also common) the alternator is only spinning 1300 rpm. By simply changing the pulley, you can boost that alternator RPM to 2,100 to 2,400 rpm, which is a HUGE difference in output.

the pully that came on mine was much smaller than stock.

i'm lucky when my truck holds 500 rpm so smaller pully made a huge difference.

also to combat belt slipage i went to a gator belt right from autozone and it did the trick<only like $8 more>

2000 explorer xlt

cda-9887 with imprint ktx-100 + ipod120

mechman rhino 250 alt with xs-power d3400 + d3100

id oems -

Dayton RS52AN-8 2" Dome Midrange

hat L1 PRO -

1 x fi Q15 d2 non-bp with 3.8 cuft net 60 sq inch L-port tuned to 28 hz - sub up , port back

2 x sax 100.4d -

2 x saz1500d -

second skin damplifier 80 ft

and a btl soon