Sonic Electronix

hey all, ive been floatin round on here for over a year now lookin at the meade builds and at a lot of ppls builds. since i started ive gone through a few setups cuz they were never loud enough. i started off wit 2 old 12" rockfords and a small rockford amp in a sealed box i bought off a friend, then went to 2 12" clarions wit a clarion amp in a sealed box i found used in my area, but round xmas time i upgraded again from my temporary 8" kicker l5 and alpine amp in a sealed box to a 12" re sx in my hand built ported box powered by a hifonics brutus 1208d, which turned out pretty good for my first box even tho i couldnt find carpet for it. its built to the re sites nominal specs of 2 cu ported at 33 hz after displacement, give or take a slight bit. due to the design i got off the re box calculator and from one of the members on here i put the sub facing the same way as the port. but now that u have a lil bit of history on my situation on to what im really here for, which way direction should i face it for best results. right now i got it facin into the cab of my car, which is a cobalt, wit the seats down. ive thought about facin it up so that i can still put things in the trunk and not worry bout damagin the sub if it hits anythin but ive also thought of facin it towards the back cuz thats the way ive had previous 12s and it sounded good. any help from any of the vets on here would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I personally don't like facing backward. It rattles everything. I have mine facing forward and its sealed it off from the trunk. it not extremely loud but its 143db last I checked and with it all closed up you can't tell there is too much going on inside. I think IMO that its cooler than hearing a trunk rattle down the street. i have fired it up also and that worked fine, but with that set-up i also sealed it from the trunk. none of the configurations changed my db reading in my car.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

• 2 weeks later...
ok, ill maybe try that and c how i like it

have you tried sealing it up facing forward yet by chance? i just was wondering the same thing about sealing it from the trunk compared to not. just wondering what your opinion was if ya did that