Sundown Audio

Pre Amp Voltage? 14.0v Vs. 16v?

SubSonic

audison VRX takes balanced 15v input..lol

Onlt one I know of though

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Well one of the goals of "Pre-amp" voltage being higher is less gain used on the amp to match it, also known as gain matching your input source. With less gain used the amps output is less likely to clip or become distorted (for those that don't know what clipping is)

Edited by Cr@sh

ok?? well i already new that but im saying, your chaging system put 14.4volts when your car is running from the aternator, i want to no how u r able to boost that to 16V, for such amps as the Soundstream 6500??? does u use a relay or what??

Re Audio

Diamond Audio

Alpine Audio

Rocksford Fosgate

DB Link

smd5.png

A custom alternator is one way or 16volt batterys is another. The dilemma is if you buy 16volt battery or batterys for the rear as an extra battery you cant charge it at 12volts from a stock alternator and hope it will work. The solution is get an alternator that will feed 16volt to your 16volt battery and put 12volt to the car using a regulator. Mechman makes them, or other companies.

ok?? well i already new that but im saying, your chaging system put 14.4volts when your car is running from the aternator, i want to no how u r able to boost that to 16V, for such amps as the Soundstream 6500??? does u use a relay or what??

The rule around here with 16/18v is that if you have to ask, you can't do it :P

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

You need, as mentioned before I butted in, an alternator that produces 16v or 18v under load dedicated for audio, or a 16-18v alternator with step-down regulator for general use.

However, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, stay away from whatever you are thinking. I am guessing you want lots of watts, but from what you've shown I think amplification like this is a bit out of your league. Again, I really don't mean to be offensive in any way, but this is how accidents happen. Sure, you'll learn after you've dumped 5kW into drivers that can't handle it or are not suitably baffled and destroy them, but you are using some very expensive gear here.

What I am more concerned about it fire danger. These devices require lots of current, and wiring that is not safe or not rated for the current this device pulls can cause quite intense fires, let alone the same amount of current at a higher voltage. Let us not forget that a member here only had a small piece of sheet metal on the bottom of the car seat create a short circuit environment, and he lost everything. The car, the equipment... You need a solid amount of electrical knowledge before you start moving power like that around. Please research some basic electrical theorum before undertaking this project.

Also, a relay is a voltage operated switch. It will have a switching voltage (actuator voltage) and a load rating. For example, when fed 1.5v 200mA the relay may open a 240v 10A switch.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

i dont mean 2 jack this thread but i dont like starting new threads for just one question

when is it a good idea to put another battery in your setup? i want to make sure i know everything i can before i start buying things and messing things up from the start.

if i was running a hifonics 1608D should i get another battery?

Bass is my drug. One hit and i was hooked.

With that amount of power just buy a slightly larger stock battery and youl be fine. I would suggest the big 3 and maybe a new alt depending on your car.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg