Sundown Audio

Amp Load Question

slugdub

I finally got around to replacing my old old Rockford Punch 250a and inside the new amp box it had a diagram saying YES! and NO!

Well, my Rockford amp is blown out in one channel (again, under warranty had it fixed previously) because it only gave enough bass out of my subs to satisfy me when I ran two 4 ohm speakers in parallel to a bridged amp.

It says most 2-channel amplifiers DO NOT! support 2-ohm mono operation. Amplifier damage could result.

Obviously this is how I ruined my amp.

My question is this: What amps do handle it? Or am I just better off getting a bigger amp? I'm really just curious, since it said 'most.'

images-1.jpg

Why not just run a mono block amp??that should fit your needs.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Why not just run a mono block amp??that should fit your needs.

X2

Mono block amps are best for sub applications that don't need to be ran in stereo.

Just shop around for any mono blocks that will be 2ohm stable at the rms wattage you're going to need. Most likely with the higher end amp's you'll be able to find them down to 1ohm stable even.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Oh crap, how do I figure out what the wattage is going to be for two 4 ohm speakers though? I guess I need to find those old physics formulas? Or is just going to be 2ohm load.. so just take half the RMS wattage?

Here is the amp I keep passing on that I can get for very cheap:

208105574.jpg

Alpine 500 Watt RMS Mono Car Amplifier - MRP-M500

RMS Power at 4 ohms: 300W x 1 (1% THD)

RMS Power at 2 ohms: 500W x 1

CEA-2006 Power Ratings at 4 ohms: 300W x 1

Class-D (Digital) Amplifier Type

Continuously Adjustable Gain Control

Dual Sided Glass Epoxy PC Board

Gold Plated Input, Output, Power and Speaker Terminals

Gold Plated RCA Input Connectors

Adjustable Low-Pass Crossover

Speaker Level Inputs

Top Mounted Blue LED Power Indicator

Over-Current, Over-Voltage and Thermal Protection

STAR Circuitry

MOSFET Power Supply Design

Thermal Management Control

Signal to Noise: 100dBA

Speaker Impedance: 4 or 2 Ohm

Frequency Response: 20 -200Hz (200Hz/-3dB)

Input Sensitivity: 0.2 - 4.0V

Power Requirements: 14.4V DC (11V to 16V)

images-1.jpg

id say get the alpine...

You are probably right. You'd cringe at the other brands I've even considered.

But I suck at trying to figure out if I'll ruin it hooking up two 4ohm clunkers to it. That is all I'm worried about is harming the amp.

I should have been able to keep my old Rockford for another 10 years if I hadn't overrun the thing.

images-1.jpg

do you know how to wire the subs and all that? if not

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_c...s.asp?Q=&I=

that will help you out greatly

how much power are you looking for at 2 ohm?

http://www.caraudiodeals.com/audiopipe-ap15001d-p-1452.html

950 rms at 2 ohm....

Edited by Army_guy614

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

do you know how to wire the subs and all that?

Good info. I do know how to wire stuff up and actually benefit from the original Best Buy install they did with my rockford amp and rockford components. I actually have a temporary amp wired in now.

what I am ashamed to admit is that I don't know the actual stats on the speakers because they are sealed in the box (i've never 'seen' them), so I will open them asap so I can request help without wasting any of you people's time.

that alpine amp is just such a good deal I bid on one last week then canceled it because i don't know if I can use it (max I would pay for it is $100 so.. a steal!)

Edited by slugdub
images-1.jpg

Good info. I do know how to wire stuff up and actually benefit from the original Best Buy install they did with my rockford amp and rockford components. I actually have a temporary amp wired in now.

what I am ashamed to admit is that I don't know the actual stats on the speakers because they are sealed in the box (i've never 'seen' them), so I will open them asap so I can request help without wasting any of you people's time.

that alpine amp is just such a good deal I bid on one last week then canceled it because i don't know if I can use it (max I would pay for it is $100 so.. a steal!)

Alot of times the subs wont say what wattage ratings are on the sub itself. What kind of subs are they, if you can get the model number then you can find out the specs.

As for amps I see you're looking for multi channel amps in your other thread. Why not just go with a mono block? Alot of multichannels wont be bridgeable as they are more geared for component speakers and such.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner