Sundown Audio

Broken Gain Knob....

nathan89

I just hooked up my new Rockford Fosgate T1000.1bd and everything went well except the gain knob on the amp itself is loose. You can move it around from top to bottom without actually turning it, but it will not move side to side. It feels like it is about to break off, but it will still rotate fine. I tried to power up the amp and turn the gain knob while it was powered on and the only thing it will do is send a loud pop through the sub. Sounds like a loose connection. I think the knob is coming loose from the board inside the amp. The knob was loose when I got the amp, and it came directly from Rockford.

So what I want to know is..... Has anyone ever had this happen before?

I hope it is something I can fix myself. It seems like a simple spot of solder on the board to hold the knob in place and make a good connection and MAYBE it would be fixed.

But if it is something more complicated I do have a factory warranty from Rockford since I bought it ''authorized'', so I could send it off if needed.

Anybody got a link to show me how to open one of these up?

Thanks!

That's an easy fix, but like he said, I'd contact them first and get them to fix it or replace it. If you spend all that money on a product then I'll be goddamned if I'm going to get a halfassed piece of equipment.

Kinda strange to get that from an RF amp. I'd expect that on a kicker amp, but not a RF.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Loose gain pot indeed, probably bad/dry solder joints. Occasionally the machine that nips the legs off cuts them too close or the part placer doesn't get it quite right but you generally expect these things to be picked up in quality control....

Send it in for warranty. To get at the solder you probably have to remove the amp from the heatsink which can be tricky.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I agree with what you guys said, it's not worth the risk of fucking it up myself, and then having to pay to get it fixed.

So I called RF today and they are going to take care of it under warranty.

Rockford amps had that problem for a while. during reflow the pots would raise up and that would eventually leave enough space for up and down movement on the pot. with time the leads would break. the pot needs to be replace, the leads are usually broken at the base of the pot.

Juan Rodriguez

Chief Technology Officer

D'Amore Engineering

T15KW Support Engineer

System.

KVT512 Kenwood Fold Out Monitor

Epic-160 Audio control Indash epicenter

(1)T1500-1BD with T2000.1 Transformer 1700 watts at 2 ohms

(2) T600-2 with T800-2 Transformers 320/ch at 4 ohms

(2) QSD216 Q series MB Quart 6.5 inch components

(3) P3D212 Rockford P3 12inch Subs

(1) Very Loud Altima Coupe!