Second Skin Audio

So Plywood Is Bad

slugdub

I'm not bashing you, it's just like you never do research. You can buy plywood that will work, but you would be better off just using MDF or possibly oak, birch also as Eric said. I have no experience with plywood but it's generally pretty weak. It's up to you you aren't running much power so use whatever you want.

In all fun I'm gonna come in and say maybe you should get experience to add with your research my friend! ;)

Just poking fun at you two.

You're right, plywood does generally get a bad reputation if it's the wrong style of ply. Generic ply only has like 5 layers, which is what causes it to break, as well as it's got knot holes and similar things you want to avoid, where as birch ply is alot more reliable and in many cases even preferred over MDF because of it's strength. You can get a little more strength with less overall thickness of birch ply, than as the equivalent of MDF overall thickness.

So to answer the OP question, the right style of ply is good, and it really depends on what you're using it for. If you're making sub rings for a fiberglass enclosure, you would just be wasting money to use birch, because in that instance, both materials will do equally fine. However in other cases, using a sheet of 3/4 birch for a large baffle of a box, vs. 3/4 MDF, you would be able to do a little better with the birch.

Any variety of particle board is ALWAYS a no-no.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Some plywood is okay, but plywood often flex's unless u stack up pieces, and can fall apart from the inside,

MDF wood is used for the sole purpose of it being so dense, and absorbs vibrations and releases it rather then plywood taking it by matter of beating!!

Also if u didnt no,

MDF = Medium Density Fibreboard

Re Audio

Diamond Audio

Alpine Audio

Rocksford Fosgate

DB Link

smd5.png

from experience, and by experience i mean dumbass friends building plywood boxes

it has a tendency to split at seams, like where the baffle hits the edges, the glue is only between the edge of one piece and the first layer of the other, it has a tendency to like pull apart

also, the screws for the subs pulled through a lot, like all the friggin time

not to mention the plywood they used flexed alot more than mdf

but never use ldf/particle board, that stuff just splinters apart

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

osb= bad news

birch & oak plywood, mdf= good stuff

justin smith

1996 mercury grand marquis

20'' bentchi b7 lexani n3000 245/35/20

cactus 5kw at 1ohm dcr(beast)

2 18'' btl's in a 14.15^ft wall tuned to 35hz with 210'' of port

kicker zx650.4

componets in still the works

200amp motorcraft alt

xs power d3100 (beast)

kenwood ddx512 h.u.

you mean my EX? the one I dumped? just remember every time you kiss her that i used to cum in her mouth

and BTW your girl just called me....

pure pwnage

osb= bad news

birch & oak plywood, mdf= good stuff

x2 :)

1990 Jeep Cherokee 4X4

Pioneer DEH-P2900MP, Big 3 done in 1/0, 1 run 1/0 ran to amp

DAT HF1000.1 #007 powering a DC lvl4 15

DAT HR 4085 prototype powering 2 Selenium 6s and 2 no name tweeters running active

1st place in AS3 @ Surf City Sound Off, 140.8 @ 45hz @ the headrest.

rebuild coming soon to get a better score :)

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven of afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people who are afraid of the dark."

• 3 months later...

The general idea is to find a material that will have the least amount of resonance. And usually the material with the highest density will have the least resonance, get the strongest and most dense wood you can get your hands on and call it a day.

Too Much Stuff to list .

the reason most people use mdf is cost mdf is way cheaper than birch and if you brace the enclosure properly either will do fine. and as far as the screws go that is a terrible idea you must predrill every hole and the reason most properly built boxes use brad nails and clamps is because after your glue and sealant cure you do not need them it is only to hold the wood together until it dries. Now with that being said i have a box in my garage that was hitting in the 150's and it is only mdf, brad nails, 2x4 bracing that is wood screws that are pre-drilled, and liquid nail sealed been together for a year in use and sitting in my garage for 4 months looks new you would need a sledge hammer and sometime to break this box.

Car is 2010 Scion Tc

Currently in car

Deck- Sony XAV-60 in-dash mobile video system

Speakers- Rockford Punch 6.5in comps in the front and coax in the rear

Subs- 2 Gen 3 Rockford P3 12's dual 4 ohm

Amps- Rockford P1000-1bd and P400-4 Alpine Mrp-f300 is in for P400-4 which is out to service

Wiring- all rockford nuff said

Enclosure- Dual 12in custom box by SRQ

Battery- Optima Yellow top with big 3 done

Sound Damping- All Dynamat products 1-2 layers throughout with liner on top

rockford-fosgate-logo.gif

Link to my build log- http://down4sound.co...=newpost&t=5275

Link to my youtube- http://www.youtube.c...ser/Jville140db

MECP Advanced CEA # 110531

BassBox 6 Pro for Box Building/Re audio box calculator

If you can hear the passenger it aint loud enough!!!!!!!

QUOTE (MickyMcD @ Sep 25 2009, 07:25 PM) "My system has 30 speaker terminals, that means shits wanging doggggg....."<!--QuoteEnd--></div>

HDF, high density fibreboard

better than MDF. Although MDF

isn't a bad choice. Plywood will

be really loud, but will not sound

clean at ALL.

i beg to differ...

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

Archived