Second Skin Audio

So Plywood Is Bad

slugdub

One question, What typ of blade did you use to cut it? I've used many different blades on my table say and birch always gets the little splinter edges.

a finer tooth blade I think

I use personally masking tape where I will be cutting, and that helps ALOT

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

now ur right to a point.. mdf does have its pros.. it is more dense and smooth so inside the box the sound will travel faster.. now all u got to do to plywood to get to that level is glass the inside :)

So, MDF raises the speed of sound? Call NASA :huh:

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

if its the box i gave him its a good quality ply. not birch but it is a good box. also if it is the box i gave him its too small to port. dude you got my number, send me a text some time. i got the tools and glue and a full sheet of 3/4" mdf just sitting here not getting used.

also guys give him a break. its not like he is starting a "what sub is better thread".

Need any thing chromed? Hit me up!!!

gamer tag: (360)

mEmEnToMoRi64

My Myspace

refs:

from here: RollinSoLow, Derrick824, Ray

from c.a.c.o. : teamsubgopoof, splvictim20, SundownAudioNY

from C.A.J. : Donpisto, spladdict19, CAJunkyard, JBLCAMRY, DasBot (robot underground)

from ca.com: alxmlr789,photocrazy8

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

2c27c692.jpg

Plexi is cool but a glass encloser will resonate the least I forgot who is running it but there is some guythat has a 4 inch glass box talk about stirdy and another thing is sometimes the box resonaing(sp) when using mdf will help your score for a burp box only of coarse

Roseville, CA

yeah thats a lot more work for starters and to reply to all the plywood users let me explain one thing to all you plywood is not meant for heavy vibration use the only way to make it so is to soak it in resin and if you don't do that the plys over time will separate and the box will become less rigid ask any spl competitor what he will use to make an enclosure. oh and by the way the only true way to make a real non resonant enclosure is to use 3/4 in plexi which i have considered but its to expensive and to hard to put together cleanly.

EDIT- oh and by the way to get birch to cut clean you need two clean sides that for a 4x8 sheet will run you about 40 to 50 dollars. where as an mdf sheet will run you about 25 to 30 dollars and if you still want to consider plywood account for about another about 5 hours of prep and 20 to 30 bucks for resin depending on how large you box is. Oh and one final thing ask the guy who owns the forum what he uses.

I could give a fuck less what meade uses in his box. he also used 5gallons of fiber glass and a shit load of 2x4's. and any "true" competitor doesn't use wood buddy

ply wood kicks mdf's ass mostly because it is actual wood not glue and dust

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

Birch is superior to mdf in most aspects of strength....but if I'm painting an enclosure I'll stick to mdf....b/c I have much less work involved in finishing it for paint.

Edit: and if you properly braces your enclosure MDF will work just fine.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Archived