Question About Resin And Laying The Cloth

Hi

This is just a quick question after you soak your fleece in resin and lay the first layer of cloth/mat

Can I just put my 4 layers on at the same time or do I need to do one layer at a time and let it dry

What do you Ruff the Glass/Resin up with to put your next layer on so it will stick if it's not good to-do 4 layers at once

I use Polyester resin

thanks

Moving where the Money Trees are

Not an expert but i would say keep it to 2 layers at a time. Use some acetone to get the wax off before adding more layers. Just what i know from my experiences, but like i said, not an expert.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Not an expert but i would say keep it to 2 layers at a time. Use some acetone to get the wax off before adding more layers. Just what i know from my experiences, but like i said, not an expert.

Don't use acetone, just rough it up with a sander.

To the original poster. If you're fast enough, then by all means put as many layers as you can before the resin begins to cure. Put resin down first, lay the mat, dab it into the resin, lay more mat, then dab more resin, and continue UNLESS the resin begins to cure then begin to wrap your laying up and let it cure, then hit it with a sander before laying more mat.

If you're working on something small and you're experienced with glass then you can usually finish the whole part with one batch of resin and have all your mat layers done in one run.

If you're doing something big, i would just focus on one layer at a time.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

To the original poster. If you're fast enough, then by all means put as many layers as you can before the resin begins to cure. Put resin down first, lay the mat, dab it into the resin, lay more mat, then dab more resin, and continue UNLESS the resin begins to cure then begin to wrap your laying up and let it cure, then hit it with a sander before laying more mat.

If you're working on something small and you're experienced with glass then you can usually finish the whole part with one batch of resin and have all your mat layers done in one run.

Do you use a roller or brushes?

18" DC Level 4

i only put three layers of mat down at a time. i have done more and it seems like it take alot longer for the bottom layers to dry, and if the resin has wax in it sanding wont help it by getting the wax off all its doing is allowing the resin to sit in a a bunch of tiny grooves instead of a flat surface and wont come apart as easy. but i use a bonding resin it take no sanding it stays tacky between coats. it just depends on what your trying to make.

Roseville, CA

^X2...just to add to your last statement...if you do all layers at once, be careful because the heat from the chemical reaction in the resin and hardener may cause it to warp..depending on how much surface area you have...

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Do you use a roller or brushes?

I use just cheap harbor freight chip brushes with the ends snipped short so that you can dab the resin with the bristles more stiff.

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

use brushes and dont paint the resin on but make small taps instead. the mat will soak the resin in faster and better. the only time ill brush resin on it when im working with the 20 oz mat but ill brush both sides then set it when i want it then ill chip away at it. but if you doing something like laying resin over wood then you could use a roller becaus ethe wood doesnt absorb the resin at a fast rate so it wont matter

Roseville, CA

So If I'm doing anything more then 3 layers I should not use Polyester resin with Wax Built in and buy some non Waxed Polyester resin to do a job like that.

If by chance I get stock having to use Polyester resin with Wax built in would some 36 Grit paper be good to ruff it up so I can continue with my layers

Thanks

Moving where the Money Trees are

So If I'm doing anything more then 3 layers I should not use Polyester resin with Wax Built in and buy some non Waxed Polyester resin to do a job like that.

If by chance I get stock having to use Polyester resin with Wax built in would some 36 Grit paper be good to ruff it up so I can continue with my layers

Thanks

You got it....use the un-waxed resin for any layers other than your last. It doesn't cost much more or can be cheaper than the "bondo" gallons you can get at Lowes or Home Depot that alot of people use depending on where you get it from. Any fiberglass supply houses can supply you with what you need. Then use the normal "waxed" resin for your final coat before sanding.

To me it's crazy to spend alot of time in between coats sanding the waxed resin just to apply another coat.

I always do just one layer at a time. The thicker you make the curing layers the hotter it will get and you can have distortion or warpage issues.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com