My buddy got 2 older alpine type r 12s for free, with a box. The box was too big for the trunk so its been in his back seat.

The current box he was using was a 5.2 cubed SEALED box made from 1/2 inch or less osb board...

I hooked up my americanbass 150.1 on his subs a few days ago, and the subs just where unloading like a champ, once i measured the box out, i quickly noticed it was big enough for 5 type r 12s sealed...

So I got him to buy a sheet of wood and helped him build a box with mdf. This is his first mdf box, he said he normally uses any scrap wood to put boxes together, sometimes 3-4 different types of wood on one box... :(

I showed him a few things like how to resin, make kerf cuts, how to measure od and id, figure out box volume, and tuning. All the basics.

Before he was the type to just build a box, and not be concerned on its size. He also said "any time i need to cut a straight line I get out my jig saw close one eye, and try to hold it straight" I laughed so hard.

I also bought a new circular saw when i was at home depot. needless to say, the guy at home depot said my makita 18volt lithium ion batteries would work with it, but once i got it to my buddies and out of the box, they wouldnt fit. :( I knew it didnt come with a battery and intended to use the 2 i had for my impact and drill, but nope. A battery for it is almost $100!! but yet it will work with my turbo charger. So I think ill return it and just get a nice corded cirular saw.

Box is 3.2 cubed, tuned to 30 hz with 37.5 square inches of port

Pics.

Here is the box these subs came with made from osb (he did the carpet job on it).

IMAGE_007.jpg

New saw thats going back and i was really hoping to use it :(

IMAGE_001.jpg

IMAGE_002.jpg

IMAGE_003.jpg

Just clamped together for looks

IMAGE_004.jpg

IMAGE_005.jpg

IMAGE_006.jpg

Screwing together

IMAGE_008.jpg

IMAGE_009.jpg

Got kerfs?

IMAGE_011.jpg

Its getting there! but then I noticed a flaw in my design and a fail boat! Guess I should of took more then 10 minutes designing the box :( My problem i ran into is i didnt take into consideration of the wider bend due to the kerf kuts, so the box was not wide enough to have the 2 12's, the radius of the rounded corner, and a port. :(

IMAGE_012.jpg

inside of box and port

IMAGE_013.jpg

IMAGE_014.jpg

After showing him how figure out cutout diameter and how to make your own homemade cumpus to draw your cutout lines for the subs I had him cut the holes with a nice jigsaw that wasnt all full of rattles and not all bent up. (i was going to router the rings out, but he dont have a router yet, so it wouldnt of benifited him much).

But he took his time, and got nice round circles and followed the line good!!

IMAGE_015-1.jpg

IMAGE_016.jpg

The old school freebie type r's

IMAGE_017-1.jpg

yall can use your halogen lamps to dry resin, Ill use a hot torpedo heater :)

IMAGE_018.jpg

IMAGE_019.jpg

IMAGE_020.jpg

test fits

IMAGE_021.jpg

He starts a new job tomorrow so once he gets done working, im gonna shoot over there, and help him sand the resin all smooth, and touch up any needed areas.

Hopefully he will have a few bucks to pick up some carpet right away too, so i can show him howto properly carpet a box. :)

Its getting there! but then I noticed a flaw in my design and a fail boat! Guess I should of took more then 10 minutes designing the box :( My problem i ran into is i didnt take into consideration of the wider bend due to the kerf kuts, so the box was not wide enough to have the 2 12's, the radius of the rounded corner, and a port. :(

hehe.

happes to the best of us :)

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

that was an expensive ashtray haha

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.