Can someone explain what "Jailbreaking" an iPhone actually does, and what any advantages/ disadvantages to doing it are?

2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66

Headunit: Pioneer AVIC-F700BT

Amps: US Amps XT4000D, US Amps XT 1600.4

Front Stage: CDT Audio EF-61FG 6 1/2" components

Rear: Pioneer coax's

Sub Stage: RE SE15D4's

it's kinda tricky to do. at least it took me a while to find the right file. kept taking me to damn blogs. it allows for broader possibilities to customize your iphone *basically*

EDIT: quickpwn works great. make sure you get the right one to work with the corresponding firmware. if you have a mac, and want to use yellowsnow for other apps, you gotta do a lil more research to get the right one cuz you'll need to keep the baseband version down and yadda yadda. x2 on google ;)

Edited by ExpoSport

Jailbreaking an iPhone is a process where you "break" the locks and restrictions Apple put on "their" YOUR device to keep apps to AppStore Only Approved apps, This opens the phone up to installing 3rd party apps that apple won't allow.

I personally LOVE my iPhone so much more after the Jailbreak. You still sync with iTunes and nothing there is broken, your phone can be themed unlike with the stock iPhone.

The only drawback I see to it is that Apple sees this as not being legal because of the wording of their End User Licence Agreement, a fancy document of THEM telling YOU what YOU can and cant do with YOUR device, This possibly voids the warranty, but if you do not like your device after the Jailbreak you can go to iTunes and Restore your phone to what it was like before you Jailbroke it.

When Jailbreaking you NORMALLY do not lose any data or pics or texts etc, its like syncing but you have to follow like 4 instructions using the QuickPwn Jailbreak Link to QuickPwn

I am happy with my Jailbroken device as are all of my friends that have followed suit after playing with my iPhone. Google is your friend but QuickPwn is the best app to Jailbreak made by TheDevTeam.

Edited by CodyB

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!

• 2 weeks later...

The only gripe that I have about jailbreaking is that sometimes it can get bogged down and it runs like a turd, but cleaning all of the old messages and other junk off can help increase the speed. I had my iPhone jailbroken before I was added to an Apple Dev List by someone in my car club, and I'm running 3.0 at the moment

Even after I upgrade to 3.0, I'll have to jailbrake so I can keep my phone from hitting the EDGE network. I no has data plan. lol

The only disadvantage I see is you lose the warranty, but after a year, you no longer have one anyway.

Also tethering to your laptop becomes a possibility post-jailbreak.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert