Is 18 Volt Good For Everyday

My daily system will be 14 volt batts (16.5 volt charge) this means I should never get dangerously low voltage for my amps and obviously I gain more power. I wouldn't go to 16V batts as that is starting to push things as they would require a little over over 19 volts to charge.

My car however is old hand has little in the way of electricals (no ecu etc) in a more modern vehicle it would require a lot more work and expense to be safe i.e seperate bank of batts and a regulator or dual alts so the car stays on a normal 12 system.

I would always try and have a rock solid power supply but modern vehicles make things a little harder for most people a good 12V/14.4 volt system will suffice, ie just high output alt and battery bank.

My daily system will be 14 volt batts (16.5 volt charge) this means I should never get dangerously low voltage for my amps and obviously I gain more power. I wouldn't go to 16V batts as that is starting to push things as they would require a little over over 19 volts to charge.

My car however is old hand has little in the way of electricals (no ecu etc) in a more modern vehicle it would require a lot more work and expense to be safe i.e seperate bank of batts and a regulator or dual alts so the car stays on a normal 12 system.

I would always try and have a rock solid power supply but modern vehicles make things a little harder for most people a good 12V/14.4 volt system will suffice, ie just high output alt and battery bank.

Using 2v forklift cells in series to get 14v? Just wondering :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

if you run a 18 volt system you will see about 19+ volts with the alternator.

it will fry small electronics in your car (headunit, window regulator, gauge lights)

what you could do is run 18 volt system but then everything electrical on the car except your amp you can use a voltage regulator and give them 14.5 volts.

16 volt batteries will need at least a 17.5 volt charge. thats minimum.

16 volt batteries will need at least a 17.5 volt charge. thats minimum.

They wont get a charge from that 2.19v per cell is only enough for a trickle maintenance charge, to put charge into the bats you need 2.35v-2.45 per cell (note at 2.45 you will start to shorten the batteries live 2.4 is ideal imo)

Archived