Second Skin Audio

Alright, so im wanting to go with 2 18s in my blazer. The other weekend i got to hear a bunch of HDC3's and decided thats what im going with next. At this moment, I wanna keep my back seats still. Since this box is going to be a good size and im keeping the rear seats, it will not be staying below the window line. If i make the outer dimensions 38 wide, 21 tall (only including the one baffle, but ill end up doing double baffle of 3/4"), and 35" deep. Its a 2000 4dr. I have 36" but that will make opening the hatch a little more difficult to get my big hand in there to grab and pull the latch thingy (not good with words on the weekends) I was thinking of making the port 8x19.5-20.5 (not sure how big yet), giving me around 16in^2 per cube. After displacement im still looking at roughly over 10cubes. Probably right at 10 after bracing and all. What is a good freq. to tune these at? I was thinking somewhere around 28-30 Hz. Havent gotten a chance to play with WinISD lately as my laptop crashed and im not supposed to be downloading things onto this computer im on. But i went and did it anyway since nobody else in the family uses it. So ill probably go and answer a bunch of my own questions when i play with that. Till then, any suggestions.

BTW: I wanna run subs and port up. There wont be enough room between the tailgate and the box to run subs up port back.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

First off good choice going with AQ.. i liked them alot more than the BL's i had *both good woofers*

anyway, ur supposed to tune them around 38 hz, IIRC dj the owner said the magnet and throw is large enough to still play really low tuned higher, its where i have my 18's at and i love it.

hmm...I know its apples and oranges (or something more outlandish) comparing my current subs and those. My subs went from being in a sealed box to a 4 cube box tuned to 35 Hz, to my current box of 5 cubes tuned to 30 Hz, and so far i like the low tuning best. I was playin with WinISD after i posted that.

Results for boxes that have 10 cubes after displacement.

Fb: 28Hz

F3: 26.36Hz

Pretty much flat 1> + or - 0 db above 40 Hz

Fb: 30Hz

F3: 27 Hz

+.789dB @ 39.35Hz

Fb: 38

F3: 31.78

+4.194dB @ 43.63Hz

Not quite sure which one would be best. Its going to be my DD, otherwise i wouldnt really care about the back seats. I listen to alot of types of music. Mostly i drive alone, and then its rap or electronic shit. I do sometimes decide im in the mood for rock, and i got alot of friends that like rock and things along the lines of portishead (BTW AWESOME FEMALE VOCALS IN PORTISHEAD), boards of canada, venetian snares (fucked up but good), and back to rock, primus, sublime and radiohead.

I want these things to sound good on music. Will the 38Hz tuning get low still and sound good on music? Of all of the response curves i looked at im leaning towards the 30 Hz curve.

mxman, what kinda music do you listen to?

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

Like said above, the hdc3's like high tuning and still pick up the lows. I built a box for 2 hdc3-12's tuned to 38hz and it really picks up lows. Then last week I built a box for 1 HDC315 tuned to 40hz and sounds perfect also

2012 scion xb bagged, 2 soundqubed hdc3 12's, soundqubed 2200 for now, need alternator

if you want it very flat sounding do a smaller box and tune low if you want a gradual spike around 40hz so the aq box

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

Not sure what im going to do yet...I have some time, I got some bills to pay before i can buy all this stuff. I just like to plan ahead. I may end up making 2 boxes, one 10 cubes tuned to 30, one ten cubes tuned to 38, see which i like better for daily, and keep that one. Is there a big difference in the T/S parameters between the copper and aluminum coils?

Ok, been playin a bit more.

Exterior dimensions, 38 wide, 35 deep and 22 tall. Port would be 8x20 for 160 in^2 and 8 in long. This will give me a box of roughly 13.5 cubes tuned to 37.65 Hz

Then i put the volume and tuning into WinISD Pro, and looked at the response curve.

For a 13.5 cube box:

Fb: 37.65

F3: 30.9

Peaks at +5.279dB at 41.20 Hz

Would this still sound good on music or no?

When I first got my hdc3 15 I put it in the box that my *** trash had been in. 3.75 cubes tuned to 30hz. Don't know exactly how to explain it but it wasn't very loud and sounded like it was in a bucket or something. I changed the aeroports to 40 hz. and it was a dramatic difference. much louder and and better sounding imo.

System tear out has begun...Out with the old

i have a iq of 128 i graduated at the top of my class tell me how im reatrded you are the 1 thats dumb as hell you can't even spell

Look at the underlined text hahahahahahahaha

I think of it as the virgin losing the virginity technique

not just jumping in to it, and pounding away, but going at it slowly over time, to get to that full extreme

l_59eb24b3e2d14283a9f1baf0746be9e0.jpg

well then, sounds like 13 cubes at 38 hz it is. Im also thinking of switching from 1 AQ3500D to 2 AQ2200D's.