Sundown Audio

Digital Design Amplifiers

Big J

Can't comment much on the A4 because I've never seen or heard one. DD ams are constantly being redone to outperform their last creation. Here is a list of all the most recent changes: (Also note the M3 has been discontinued to modify the power supply and probly a few other things too. Watch for it's debut sometime later this year.)

01.01.2009 / Jassa Langford

Changes for Digital Designs 2009

Subwoofers

Running changes during the last year for all models;

New EROM surrounds with more excursion.

Composite cones feature new Kevlar fiber pre-dyed and combined with aluminum on colored cones, black dyed Kevlar/ Carbon Fiber on Carbon cones and natural Kevlar in yellow; all available as options. Matching dust caps or carbon dust caps available as options.

500 Series; Free Flow Cooling Vents are machined into the motor along with thicker top plate. Stronger suspension and stronger surround.

1500 Series; Running changes during last year: stronger motor and longer voice coil. Adds a T model, a more shallow motor to fit shallow boxes.

2500 Series; Running change during last year; new spider for easier excursion, 6 layers. D4 and flat copper wire D2 available

3500 Series; New composite cone materials

9500 Series; New composite cone materials, flat aluminum coils in D1.5 and D1.0 available

Z 91 Series; New 6 magnet motor, flat wound aluminum 110mm long coil for 70mm X-max. Maximum sound quality design.

Z 95 Series; New 6 magnet motor. Almost as strong as the Z with lower material costs. Open Z motor expands free flow cooling to new levels of long term power handling.

Z Series; Running change from last year; 2 pc top plate assembly, deeper motor for longer coil travel.

95/35 has standard D4 or D2 coils. All impedances below D2 are extra cost options.

Components

DDA; 5.25 woofer added. 3? mid coming soon, 8? kick bass coming soon.

DDC; revised x-over for higher power handling.

DDCx; Jagger bomb attachment for in-car entertainment.

Amplifiers

Amplifier redesign started last year with the S2 and SS models released 3rd quarter last year. Your feedback in many areas resulted in the new design changes. Many amps are being installed in tight, confined areas rather than being center mounted in a visual system display. The new heat sink maximizes surface area with minimal size. The heat sink is 20% heavier by weight with the extra mass concentrated down the power rails.

All amps are upgrading to LV style transformers/power supplies. The LV design supplies more power from 9-12 volts, helping the amps make more power in normal system conditions.

All amps are receiving MOSFET and power transistor upgrades in voltage/current ratings.

Although the Model Names stay the same, the 09 amps are different designs, different power and features. The 2009 amp changes are;

A and C Series are combined in to a new C-?b? Series line. These are 100%, all new designs geared for the new enthusiast. The amps are designed to withstand higher temperatures and are easier to use for new customers. The C2b and C3b are designed for 1 ohm stereo use, both have optional remote gains.

C1b: 70x2@4 Ohm Stereo, 100x2@ 2 Ohm Stereo, 200x1 @ 4 Ohm mono, HP/FULL/LP xover 30Hz-1.2kHz

C2b: 120x2@4 Ohm Stereo, 180x2@ 2 Ohm Stereo, 230x2@ 1 Ohm Stereo, 460x1@ 2 Ohm Mono, HP/FULL/LP x-over 30Hz-1.2kHz, optional remote gain

C3b: 200x2@ 4 Ohm Stereo, 300x2@ 2 Ohm Stereo, 400x2@ 1 Ohm Stereo, 800x1@ 2 Ohm Mono, HP/FULL/LP x-over 30Hz-1.2kHz, optional remote gain

C4b: 60x4@ 4 Ohm, 90x4@ 2 Ohm, 180x2@ 4 Ohm, HP/FULL/LP x-over 30Hz-1.2kHz

M Series amps have new circuit designs, new heat sinks, Solid chassis mounted RCA connectors, Slave Remote Gain Control, New Heat Sink. 6dB Variable Bass Boost

Official ratings will be 12.0 Volts.

M1b: 1500x1@ 1 Ohm Mono/14.4V, 1200x1/12.0V

M2a: 2300x1@ 1 Ohm Mono/14.4V, 1900x1/12.0V

M4: 4800x1@ 1 Ohm Mono/14.4V, 3999x1/12.0V

SS Series amps, Separate HP and LP filters, Solid chassis mounted RCA connectors

SS1a: 750x1@ 1 Ohm Mono/14.4V, 500x1@ 2 Ohm mono, 600x1@ 1 Ohm mono/12.0V. Solid chassis mounted RCA connectors

SS3; 180x2@ 4 Ohm Stereo, 300x2@ 2 Ohm stereo, 600x1 @ 4 Ohm mono

SS4; 50x4@ 4 ohm, 70x4@ 2 Ohm, 140x2@ 4 Ohm Stereo

S Series amps, New Heat Sink, Separate HP and LP filters, Solid chassis mounted RCA connectors

S2 1100x2 @ 1 Ohm Stereo, 2200x1 @ 2 Ohm Mono

S4a New Audio circuit, bigger power supply, higher damping factor. 12 Volt power: 100x2+200x2@ 4 Ohm, 150x2+300x2@ 2 Ohm, 300x1+600x1@ 4 Ohm bridged

Z2LV/HV continuous circuit development

All amps are receiving MOSFET and power transistor upgrades in voltage/current ratings.

DDAudio002-1.jpg

lP lR O Jl lE C T - C G 6

DD 9512G - DD M2A - DDA W - DD S4A - ALPINE W505 - IMPRINT

There is a guy out here who sells/installs Memphis and DD as his priority brands, and well, he loves the Memphis amps over the DD, every time, over and over powering DD subs. I just couldn't believe him. I know I'am partial to Memphis only because I had part in the company for about 4-5 years, but I always looked up to DD equipment.

But supposivley matching side by side a 1k amp Memphis vs DD the Memphis was always putting out more power, cleanly, with less tuning needed to the amp, as far as the bigger DD amps vs the bigger Memphis 4kw, I do not know,

But he also preferred the Memphis 4channel over the DD 4channel

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

ive never liked a mempgis amp besides the belle. ther 4 channels do what they are supposed to but werent anything special to me, and the monos seemed always a bit hungry

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure DD and Memphis amps are both made in Korea. I would love to see a Memphis 4KW vs. a DD M4 haha. I wonder if they share any parts. I know the M4 has a 6KW power supplies.

DDAudio002-1.jpg

lP lR O Jl lE C T - C G 6

DD 9512G - DD M2A - DDA W - DD S4A - ALPINE W505 - IMPRINT

• 1 year later...

Holy necroposting Batman! lol

But since this is already up top, anyone want to tell me how the M1a stacks up? hehehe

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

I just ordered 2 Digital Designs amps (M1b and C4b) because although I am a long time RF user I just want something different from a non-mainstream company. I wanted the best of the small underground companies for my amplifiers. These reviews help me confirm my decision.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived