Sundown Audio

Memphis 4kw Owners Help!

Justin

I had one of my memphis 4kw's go up in smoke! But the good news is I had it looked at and they said that a capacitor needs to be replaced. What happend is I flipped the sub sonic filter to the off position and the amp just started smoking!!!!! So when it was looked at they said that 9 of the capacitors are 160v and 1200uf and the one that blew was 100v And 2200uf so it was the wroong one. What I need help with is taking the amp apart. I need to figure out how to take those gaurds of the fet's. Any help would be great.

99 2dr Blazer

Kenwood KVT-614

SounDigital SD16k

4 Fi BTL 18s

4 hertz high energy 6.5s comps

4 stock ad244 alts

6 g31s batts

8 runs 0ga

sdandfibanner.png

Erk... if it smoked it's probably not just a single cap that's gone bad, to be honest. I have a VFL400.1 here that completely blew up (every single FET bar 3 was smoked) and every single cap in it is fine. I bet half of the MOSFETs in yours are fucked.

Where did you get it checked out? If they're saying that there's nothing wrong with it except a bad cap then I would be extremely surprised if the amp wasn't already out of the heatsink.

If it has spring-clips on the FETs then don't even bother. Send it to Chris at db-r or another good amp repair place, if you don't have the right tools for taking the clips off then you'll just mess the amp up even more. If you mess the clips up you may as well throw the amp in the bin, you can only buy them from the Korean/chinese factories and they sell them by the 10000 or something.

Last of all if you don't have a butane mini blowtorch or a 80w+ soldering iron good luck getting the solder joints hot enough to get the cap out...

Amps that big... I wouldn't mess with them if you haven't worked on amps before.

EDIT: Ok I found an internal pic, vertical MOSFETs with spring clips. Send it away, sorry to be a downer but if you haven't got the right gear you'll just break more shit trying to get them off.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Well that's what they told me. So I just placed a new capacitor in and it works fine

99 2dr Blazer

Kenwood KVT-614

SounDigital SD16k

4 Fi BTL 18s

4 stock ad244 alts

6 g31s batts

8 runs 0ga

sdandfibanner.png

I don't have a pic but the capacitor wasent the same brand. The one that came out was a samwha and I couldent find another

99 2dr Blazer

Kenwood KVT-614

SounDigital SD16k

4 Fi BTL 18s

4 stock ad244 alts

6 g31s batts

8 runs 0ga

sdandfibanner.png

Archived