Sundown Audio

Reason Why My Amp Went Up In Smoke?

bennett15

uh, its a brutus?

/thread

I was going to say that but thought about all the guys with boners for Hifonics...but it really isnt the amp company's fault...complete user error here...

/thread

the fact that the sub never played is a good indivation that it didnt like being ran at .7 ohms...and im not trying to be a dick but this is common sense

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

box rise or not.... 1ohm is 1ohm.... or you had something hooked up wrong....

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

i was asuming that .3 ohm off would be fine and with box

rise it should have been over 1 ohm but it failed miserably

so time for some thing new and ill keep it wired to 1.6 ohm

98 Dodge Durango

12 000K 50/55W Headlights

12 000K 35W Fog lights

HU Panasonic CQ-VX100 7" Reciever

(1) Fi SSD 18" Fully Loaded

(1) Ported box 33hz

(1) Soundstream TRX1500D

(1) Soundstream TRX2.440

(1) RE 6.5" Component Set

(1) Rear battery

Big 3 in 0/1 gauge

2 runs of 1/0 Gauge wire

250A Alt soon..

i really doubt you smoked the amp from playing it at .7 ohm especially with box rise. if this happened after you re-installed everything and the sub didnt play at all i'd bet something happened with the wireing. oh, exactly what coils does your ssd have?

Orion 2500D, Jbl Gto 75.4

Team Wolfpack Audio FSQ 15" d2, mb quart xover, tweets peerless 6.5 mids

Alpine cda-105

optima up front Knu klm 1/0

just the copper coils i checked them with a dmm

after my amp smoked out and there both sitting at 2 ohm

and they have never got smelly or warm on 1500 daily

98 Dodge Durango

12 000K 50/55W Headlights

12 000K 35W Fog lights

HU Panasonic CQ-VX100 7" Reciever

(1) Fi SSD 18" Fully Loaded

(1) Ported box 33hz

(1) Soundstream TRX1500D

(1) Soundstream TRX2.440

(1) RE 6.5" Component Set

(1) Rear battery

Big 3 in 0/1 gauge

2 runs of 1/0 Gauge wire

250A Alt soon..

You guys know that box rise isn't a constant, right? At some frequencies the impedance will be very very close to or equal to the nominal impedance.

Although yes, a 0.7 ohm impedance should generally be fine, maybe you had a couple of strands shorting out the amp's outputs.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Odd. I haven't owned a ton of amps, 5 or 6 maybe. But I have ran every one of them at half of recommended load. Using them at competitions wide open. Sometimes with less electrical than you have and haven't had a problem. Maybe I have just been lucky. /shrug

I'm not sure 3 tenths of an ohm would have blew it like that with good electrical.

^^^ so since u ran tons of amps retartedly they should all be able to take it?

I had a 1958 mote carlo and rammed it into a wall and it still ran, think i should do the same with my cobalt?

are you sure u wired the sub correctly? i could be wrong but i just did all the coil configurations for a single sub in both dual and quad 4,2,1 and not one could be wired at 2 and 1(1.4/.7)

so if it was actually at 1.4 before it was either... dual 4 so the only other rewire would be 8, dual 1(.7) able to be .5(.35), quad 2 able to be .5(.35) and 8

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

You guys know that box rise isn't a constant, right? At some frequencies the impedance will be very very close to or equal to the nominal impedance.

x2. every little bit the sub moves changes the ohm load the amp is playing at changes. There is no such thing as a consistant .7 ohms, 1 ohms, or any ohms.

hook up a dmm to a sub once, and just tap the cone slightly and see the difference in impedance, same thing is happening with the impedance as it plays.

Archived