Okay, so I found these nifty little bulbs that replace the ones in my footwells for $2 that are blue. I put them in and thought they looked okay for the price, but I wanted to be able to have them on without the dome light being on. SO! I clipped the positive wire going to the dome light and wired in a 2-position switch so I could turn it off.

Well...that works, but...

Ya know how when you close your door your cabin lights are supposed to turn off? My car doesn't do that anymore. I had to pull the fuse because they NEVER FLIPPIN' TURN OFF!!!! =(

So I have no idea what to do now. The fuse is good, and everything worked before. I don't know where the relay is for the lights (if there is one); the only two relay boxes I found had relays for fuel pump, headlights, etc. nothing in the cabin.

Any idea what my problem might be?

If it helps any, the vehicle is a 1996 Grand Prix 4-door.

Thanks guys.

Too many projects, too little time...

I'm also interested in finding an answer for this. My ranger domelight decides it doesn't wanna go off when I shut the doors most of the time, but does some times. Not sure on how that works

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

flip the switch?? :01nocomment8so:

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

make a drawing of how its wired and post it up. On the dome light there should be two wires , one negative and one positive . meter them to see if the 12v goes away when the door closes. So door opens, light turns on , door closes light turns off. So what you did was cut the +12v wire , one end goes to one part of the switch and the other end goes to the other part of the switch..right? so when the door is open the 12v needs to go through the switch before it goes to the bulb, if the switch is turned off then you wont get any light. I dont understand what you messed up? Where is the 12v coming from that keeps the light on all the time?

Too Much Stuff to list .

Switch ALL your Cabin Lights Over To LED's They only draw 3 watts Compared To your Stock lighhts that Pull Around 12watts....

And There BRIGHT as FUCK!!

I Changed ALL mine To the 3 Watt HILEDS....

www.hileds.com

Best LEDS Of All time!!

But there Expensive About $30 each... It ran me Like $200, But WELL WORTH it IMO!

WWW.OSGINDUSTRIES.COM

I LOVE HATER'S

Okay. I spliced the dome light switch into the positive wire. What I don't understand is that ALL THE LIGHTS stay on, not just the dome light. I can flip the switch for the dome light to turn it off, but the footwell lights stay on, but I don't want to have to run more wires and put in more switches for the footwell lights. If that is all I can do then I guess I will, but if I can avoid it I would like to.

916PublicEnemy, I will try that this weekend and see if that fixes the problem.

Neel, I had to cut both wires, but I just reconnected the negative wire with a butt-splice, then wired the +12v into the switch. I did nothing to the other lights.

Could it be that the switch I installed is somehow overriding the switch and/or relays built into the car?

Im gonna just state the obvious at first and ask have you checked the door pin switches?

I opened each door individually, then pushed the switch in (you mean the little plastic button-looking things, right?) and it didn't have an effect. Could the switches themselves have gone bad? But all 4 at once...doesn't make sense to me.