Thats Pretty Neat..........

Just for the record, Transistors are used and were invented only to save space yet function as a tube. If you want crispness & power, tubes are the way to go -hense the fact of them being used in the best decks in the world.

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

hey GP i also saw that deck last night. Also i do know that many of the best quality amp or preamps.... can't really remember... for guitars use vacuum tubes. Now i know it's way different but if the tubes are so outdated why continue to use them at all. Another point is that many of the Russian jet fighters made during the cold war used them as well for the simple fact that if a nuclear war happened they could still fly due to the fact that the EM waves wouldn't affect the tubes. Two totally off subject examples but some interesting topics i know i'll catch shit for.

Big P thinks he knows what he is talking about

I did some searching on the net and found a review.

The audio output from the DAC is AC-coupled to the grid of the vacuum tube. The tube operates in a classic "cathode follower" configuration, where the output is simply taken from the cathode of the tube, and AC-coupled to the next stage. The anode (plate) is connected to 100V, supplied by a little dedicated DC/DC converter inside the headunit. This converter need not supply lots of power ... even though the potential across the tube is ~100V, the current demand is low, probably only a few milliamps. I can't quite tell the bias current of the tube ... I still can't find the part number used by Panasonic and a classic load-line analysis is tough without a datasheet The heater for the tube is powered by 6.3 volts.

The "cathode follower" does not provide any voltage gain. It's simply a buffer stage, which can provide current gain if needed ... but the net effect in this headunit (besides the great looks) is to simply add some "tube coloration" to the signal path.

Sonic "accuracy"? Probably not. The cathode follower no doubt increases the measured distortion of the signal path. But you know, there's just something about tubes ... maybe it's just the nostalgia factor for those of us old enough to remember audio before transistors. But the love affair with tubes just won't die, or even pass quietly into obscurity. Check the diy audio sites ... even in 2005, some half-crazed audio nuts are still looking for ways to follow modern DAC stages with tube output stages ... just like what we find here

David its to bad you don't know me.

Edited by Big P

dont cut n paste, post the links up

It doesnt matter if I know you, I dont give 2 shits bro.

you have to go search the net to try prove something wrong, that you know nothing about. thats funny stuff.

your basing your opinion off what you read on the net, ever sat in a competition sq car? I have, its a night and day difference in sound IMO.

what ever.

I stand firm with my previous post. The review from 2005 doesn't explain why if the tubes "increase" distortion in the signal path, why were they used in the first place?

Sounds like the person reviewing is acting like he has a PHD but is really just a DDD. Notice the the overuse of uncertainties such as "Cant find" "Cant tell" and "Probably." He should have used the term more common to those types, "Don't Know."

4 15" FI Q D2's in 12 cubes tuned to 32hz

1- T1000.1bd's

3 Maxx 29 deep cycles

4 runs of 1/0 gauge

-Big 3

-Trunk sealed off from the cabin

Custom 15.8 dual-volt switching MLA module

All in a CAR.

panasonic put the tube in the signal path to give it the "tube radio" sound now what is a unneeded peace of equipment going to do to the signal. the tube is only for the decks amplifier it does nothing for the line level out puts of the deck. Most of the decks in this class dont even have a internal amplifier. How many true SQ decks have a mp3 player lol If a audio file is listening to mp3s then they probably should give up on car audio.

Ive set in many SQ vehicles and im not basing my opinion on something i read on the net. Im basing my opinion on fact. i was simply posting a more educated answer to what I posted. David have you even herd one of these decks in person? I have.

yea I have heard 3 of the ones tested, I have not heard the model posted.

McIntosh MX5000,

McIntosh MX4000,

Nakamichi CD700ii

IMO the MX5000 was the cleanest sounding h/u I ever heard, the detail was amazing.

still no links, your cut paste means absolute crap to me.

ill search the link later tonight. I love mcintosh. My friend that owns the local audio shop used to sell the stuff. He has a 4 channel amp weighting for me for when my truck gets done. I demoed a lot of his stuff in high school. Im def now so i don't get to mess with sq stuff any more.