Help me fix my ground loop please

I like to think of myself as a pretty smart guy. I've done a lot of installs over the years, and this is the first time I've got noise that I can't fix.

I'm out of ideas. This is what I have done:

Different radio - noise is less, but still definitely there. I get ignition noise with the car off, alternator whine with the car running.

Different RCAs - ran them outside of the car into the trunk.

Ground - was on stock harness, tried an 18 gauge right to the battery (front), now it's a 12 gauge right to the battery (front).

With an Mp3 player hooked up where the radio would be, no noise. With the radio on a separate power supply (jump pack) no noise.

I have my main battery and a battery in the trunk. Rear battery is fed by a run of 1/0 and a run of 3/0. What else can I try? No, it's not a Pioneer head unit either. One is a Panasonic, the other is a Sony. Tried also grounding the RCAs to body, gets real staticy.

Another thing to the ground loop is that it's using the RCAs as a ground point.

Comments/questions/concerns.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti Scion 600.4

4 - Lanzar Optidrive 1232D's

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6C midbass

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

I know you said different rca's. Do you mean a different set? Or just ran different. If you didn't try a different set try that. If not that try a straight power to your battery and see if you have noise. what about your wire from your alt to your battery is grounded good or power wire still good. Something funny seems to be going on. I would check all kind of stuff. Can a relay or fuse cause a static problem? Does the radio do this as long as its in the slot where it stays in the dash? Or is it outside the dash and in your hand or what? Im puzzled too! But ill try and help. Do you have a old 12 drill battery or 14v drill battery? Hook power and ground to that and check to see if you get noise.

03 350Z

Wrap exposed wire around the RCA stud coming off the deck and ground it to a bolt on the back of the deck or to a metal surface nearby.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I know you said different rca's. Do you mean a different set? Or just ran different. If you didn't try a different set try that. If not that try a straight power to your battery and see if you have noise. what about your wire from your alt to your battery is grounded good or power wire still good. Something funny seems to be going on. I would check all kind of stuff. Can a relay or fuse cause a static problem? Does the radio do this as long as its in the slot where it stays in the dash? Or is it outside the dash and in your hand or what? Im puzzled too! But ill try and help. Do you have a old 12 drill battery or 14v drill battery? Hook power and ground to that and check to see if you get noise.

I tried a different set of RCAs, taken outside of the car to eliminate any RF or anything coming from any power source. Power and ground for the radio go straight to the front battery. Alt to battery is to chassis, less than .3 ohm from alternator to battery. I've tried radio out of the dash, in the dash, upside down, swearing at it, grounding the ground to the chassis of the radio, swearing some more. I did hook both of the radios up to a 12 volt jump pack for cars and zero noise. I also tried running another wire, dedicated, from the rear battery to the radio. Still noise.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Tried that too my friend. It sounds like I have an angry box of Rice Krispies when I try that.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

so you found where the problem is. the hu or the power/ground for the hu. if the noise is gone with another power source then it cant be rca's, can it? try another hu (yes a 3rd one) and look for a differance. try a 12awg power wire to match your 12awg ground.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I do have 12 gauge for my power and ground now. Same deal. I'm wondering if tying a ground directly to the 4 channel and the head unit is going to make a difference?

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Update - I removed the front ground and ran a wire from the rear battery as a ground. Noise is virtually gone. Very faint alternator whine now, and even that is intermittent.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160

Noise is back. I ordered a noise filter to go inline with the radio's constant power. We'll see what it does.

2 - Audiopipe AP30001Ds

1 - Lanzar Opti 5.1

1 - Lanzar Opti 6.1

1 - Alphasonic PCT6551

1 - Lanzar VX830

1 - JBL 22 band EQ

1 - Lanzar SDBT75NU

1 - AudioControl Epic160