Sonic Electronix

So I just finished installing my equipment this past weekend, and I wanted to use an o-scope to set the gains (I did the 3/4 ear deal, but just like the extra security). So I call up a local shop and ask if they have one, and they said they dont need one, the only way they would need to use one is someone was strapping amps or two amps to a DVC. He then goes on to tell me they are way to expensive to have when you would only get a few uses out of it. Then says that there only a few shops in the state that have them (I'm in CT).....is this common??? After scrolling around the forums...oscopes seem to only be a few hundred that would suffice car audio....that cant be too much for a shop...

Just wondering if this was common cuz I know guys on here own or work at a shop...

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

Custom Fiberglass Enclosure

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

So I just finished installing my equipment this past weekend, and I wanted to use an o-scope to set the gains (I did the 3/4 ear deal, but just like the extra security). So I call up a local shop and ask if they have one, and they said they dont need one, the only way they would need to use one is someone was strapping amps or two amps to a DVC. He then goes on to tell me they are way to expensive to have when you would only get a few uses out of it. Then says that there only a few shops in the state that have them (I'm in CT).....is this common??? After scrolling around the forums...oscopes seem to only be a few hundred that would suffice car audio....that cant be too much for a shop...

Just wondering if this was common cuz I know guys on here own or work at a shop...

I would say it is common...I don't know any shops around my area that have one either. I think it is more that these people don't know what the hell to do with it or how to use it correctly than a cost issue. To me, buying your own handheld o-scope is the best way to go that way you will always have it handy should you need to adjust anything. A couple hundred dollar investment is worth it to avoid the headaches of trying to get it done somewhere else.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com

most shops dont have rta's either.

But this piece of equipment is the only way to see the signal.

It is needed, bought mine for 1200.00 I have other equipment that cost more than my scope.

Sounds like that shop isnt somewhere where you want to go anyway.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I'm still pretty new to the car audio scene, but I would think something like a handheld would be on hand at most shops? I dunno much about the shop in question...its near the gym I go to so I drive by it all the time....its either that or best buy :) haha jk

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

I'm still pretty new to the car audio scene, but I would think something like a handheld would be on hand at most shops? I dunno much about the shop in question...its near the gym I go to so I drive by it all the time....its either that or best buy :) haha jk

Most of the shops just do it by ear. but it's always nice to have a o-scope so that you'll know that the speakers are getting unclipped signal.

Edited by tech2332

tech2332.png

My Official Feedback Thread

PSN - tech2332

Games for PS3: Killzone 2, BattleField: Bad Company 2! Add me to play either!

no o scope, no business. There are two types of shops.

1: A shop in which they sell car audio and know how to put those items in your cars.

2: A shop in which they sell the person the correct piece of car audio that works best for them, for the amount of money they are willing to spend. They know how to install the products and get them perform to their optimal performance capability and perform safely.

I would lean towards most shops don't have one... The company I work for has five locations with probably about 20installers... and I'm the only one that has one. But I've had mine since I worked at circuit city... I don't use it on every amp install, usually only higher end setups or if a customer requests it.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

no o scope, no business. There are two types of shops.

1: A shop in which they sell car audio and know how to put those items in your cars.

2: A shop in which they sell the person the correct piece of car audio that works best for them, for the amount of money they are willing to spend. They know how to install the products and get them perform to their optimal performance capability and perform safely.

mmmm I will definately be cautious :)

2x 10' Polk Momo MM2104

Alpine MRP-M500

4x Polk db 6.5's

RF 450.4

Pioneer DEH-4000UB

I am thinking of getting one but have not posted on here yet as I wanted to make sire it would work ok tell me what you think guys I will be getting as soon as I have the money for it

The O-scope I am looking at click here

Just wondering same thing. Or is the one with

yellow case in Steve's How to video better.