Anyone care to comment? lol

SO! Firstly, I got behind my entertainment system and ziptied a bunch of wires. It isn't pretty, but it makes it a whole lot easier to manage whenever I need to change something. It isn't a large system. I have my 32 widescreen CRT off to the left with my 360, Wii, and N64 (yep still got that sucka) on the top shelves with my laptop underneath. Which leads me to:

I set up my 360 as a Media Center Extender with my laptop.

That was something I'd done before, but in the pursuit of shorter music load times, I formatted my external hard drive in FAT32 so the 360 could read it. Little did I know when you do it that way, you lose the ability to use playlists. So I have my laptop as the hub for my music. I have to go in and tidy up a little so its presentable, but that's for another weekend (or maybe tomorrow lol).

I installed MCE Browser today as well. Now I can browse the internet through my 360. Is the browser any good? Hell no! But it will allow me to watch YouTube on a much larger screen.

I also have my laptop setup to display video through the TV (using S-Video, the only option available). But that has so many problems it isn't even funny. The TV is set to zoom mode, and I can't change it (the original remote is broken, and the universal doesn't support that feature), so no matter what I do, it cuts off the top and bottom of everything (I managed to shrink the sides, so width wise, it's fine).

Another problem is I'm already using my wireless keyboard with my 360, so sitting away from the TV isn't something that is going to work well. lol In an effort to gain some level of functionality back, I hooked up a wireless mouse to my computer and was using the on screen keyboard. I seriously feel sorry for anyone forced to use that POS.

Does anyone care, probably not, but I'll probably post a couple shots tomorrow to make my endless rant more understandable.

Edited by BJD3

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'll turn this into my "WTF BJD3 Has Been Doing in Tech" thread. lol

So a while back I cracked open my ext. hd, and saw it was just a laptop drive with a SATA to USB controller thingamabob. I JUST realized a couple weeks ago that I could actually place it IN my computer.

I felt like an idiot.

So that provided the opportunity to try out other OSes (didn't want to uninstall Vista since I don't have a install CD). I offloaded the files and music on it to my mom's desktop, formatted it, installed Win 7 RC, and created a new partition to hold everything that's not an application or OS related.

I'll just say, I'm loving 7. The switch to this from Vista was awesome. After the initial shock of switching over to Vista from XP, I really didn't have any issues besides performance related ones.

Then I dual booted OpenSolaris. Everyone always says if you try a Unix system, and actually force yourself to use it exclusively for a few months, if/when you go back to a Windows system you will wonder how you ever used it.

I personally could only put up with it for a few days. IMO, you shouldn't HAVE to go into Terminal for every little thing. And honestly, I could even put up with that, the big problem was that my wireless network card would only be able to connect every two or three reboots. It wasn't even like drivers weren't loading. It would find the network, it just wouldn't connect me.

I may try Ubuntu again, but last time didn't go so well. I do however think a large part of it has to do with the machine I installed it on being entirely too old to be able to run it. Either way, at this point, my experiences with non Windows OSes has assured that MS will always have a place in my house. I may have to jiggle things around at install, but that takes all of an hour, and after that, it just works. (Sorry Apple commercial, you fail.) I will admit though, that is one OS that I wouldn't mind trying out. I'm just not paying to do it. (I don't have a comp that can run the "Windows version".

Also, I'm not buying an OS when this RC expires. I'm going to use Win Server 2008. I can get it for FREE through the Microsoft DreamSpark site. The catch is, you have to be a student currently enrolled with at least .5 credit hours. I think it's also open to HS students also. Another program on there I'll probably try out is the XNA Game Studio. I just want to see how hard to use it is, how much technical background is needed, etc.

So, I'll end this by asking, does anyone have any suggestions for an OS I should try and is anyone actually going to read this wall of text? :D

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

i agree with all of this actually. especially about the part where you mention terminal. to me, time is money, and its a hell of a lot quicker to just double click an exe than type in the install command. plus gaming on linux is not as easy to do as windows, especially with brand new games.

bottom line, windows fo life.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

I win, I still play NES.

Duck Hunt ftw.

I still have mine, I just can't play it. :(

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert