VistaV6 Posted August 21, 2009 Report Posted August 21, 2009 So...I have learned that a ported box is louder...if there is also one thing that I have learned from you guys, its cone area cone area cone area (more cone area = higher potential SPL). So anyway I have a tiny trunk....max I can get for a ported box that I could build outside and put in is about 3 cubes (after displacements and ported tuned to 33). Sealed box is about 3.5 cubes...but I will just use the number 3 cubes for both. Say I bought 3 DC level 3 12's and ran them in a sealed box off 1k RMS in 3 cubes. or Say I bought 2 DC level 3 12's and ran them in a ported box off 1k RMS in 3 cubes. Just curious as to which factor is more important to have a port, or more cone area. Thanks SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it. "You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.
skittlesRgood Posted August 21, 2009 Report Posted August 21, 2009 2 ported. simple way to think about it is, you are adding the cone area of the back of the woofer as well. so its like having 4 sealed 12's. its not exactly like that. but that should give you a basic idea. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
keepinitloud Posted August 21, 2009 Report Posted August 21, 2009 I'm not going to get technical cause its simple you want to make sure your woofer is operating in at least minumum cube reqiuirement from manufacture ive seen a guy who put two fifteens in his trunk and there not even in the min cube reqiuirement for the subs and he had his ass handed to him by a guy with one 12 same power but the 12 was in its optimum cube requirement 06 chrysler 300C Hemi one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters stock battery and a stinger spv44 Irragi 300 amp alternator big 3 1/0 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1
VistaV6 Posted August 21, 2009 Author Report Posted August 21, 2009 I'm not going to get technical cause its simple you want to make sure your woofer is operating in at least minumum cube reqiuirement from manufacture ive seen a guy who put two fifteens in his trunk and there not even in the min cube reqiuirement for the subs and he had his ass handed to him by a guy with one 12 same power but the 12 was in its optimum cube requirement Thanks for making up a question and answering it SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it. "You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.
SQMonte Posted August 22, 2009 Report Posted August 22, 2009 So...I have learned that a ported box is louder...if there is also one thing that I have learned from you guys, its cone area cone area cone area (more cone area = higher potential SPL). So anyway I have a tiny trunk....max I can get for a ported box that I could build outside and put in is about 3 cubes (after displacements and ported tuned to 33). Sealed box is about 3.5 cubes...but I will just use the number 3 cubes for both.Say I bought 3 DC level 3 12's and ran them in a sealed box off 1k RMS in 3 cubes. or Say I bought 2 DC level 3 12's and ran them in a ported box off 1k RMS in 3 cubes. Just curious as to which factor is more important to have a port, or more cone area. I'd go 2 ported...Those subs are rated at about 600 rms IIRC so if you got 3 of them on only 1k watts you'd be severely underpowering them which would increase your chances of blowing them. Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03 CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6 Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f
Gregggg Posted August 22, 2009 Report Posted August 22, 2009 Ported because it will allow the subs to be more efficient. CLICK MEEEEEE! 2002 Toyota Solara SLE V6 Headunit - Pioneer DEH P3900MP Door Speakers - Polk Audio db6501 6-1/2" 2-way Component System Rear Speakers - Polk Audio db691 Speaker Amp - DD C4b Sub - 2 12" Alpine Type R's in a 2 @ 33hz Sub Amp - DD M2A Electrical - Big 3 - Stinger HPM 1/0 guage Wires, Optima Yellow Top Battery, 180/120 DC HO Alternator w/ MLA Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it" Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals.... refs: DC_Power_Kyle
99s10dowork Posted August 22, 2009 Report Posted August 22, 2009 underpowering your subs will not blow them...clipping the hell outta them will blow them by trying to get more out of the amp than it is capable of producing. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado regular cab 3/6 drop -Alpine cda-9884 -Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5's -US Amps XT-4000DE V2 -Fi SSD 10d2-for now
mbdblue Posted August 22, 2009 Report Posted August 22, 2009 Id agree with everyone else...2 12s ported....and I believe monte was joking about blowing them...? AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco
99s10dowork Posted August 22, 2009 Report Posted August 22, 2009 o ok! lol sometimes you dont know. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado regular cab 3/6 drop -Alpine cda-9884 -Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5's -US Amps XT-4000DE V2 -Fi SSD 10d2-for now
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.