Second Skin Audio

not sure how to explain

i am trying to design my box for 2 RE 15SE's and what i have come up with is essentially a sealed box with the subs facing up firing into a port which will be facing forward. make sense to anyone? now would i be able to just allow any amount of space for this so-called port or would it be the same as a ported enclosure and have to be tuned to a given frequency? it will be going into an 03 chevy avalanche btw.

2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66

Headunit: Pioneer AVIC-F700BT

Amps: US Amps XT4000D, US Amps XT 1600.4

Front Stage: CDT Audio EF-61FG 6 1/2" components

Rear: Pioneer coax's

Sub Stage: RE SE15D4's

i am trying to design my box for 2 RE 15SE's and what i have come up with is essentially a sealed box with the subs facing up firing into a port which will be facing forward. make sense to anyone? now would i be able to just allow any amount of space for this so-called port or would it be the same as a ported enclosure and have to be tuned to a given frequency? it will be going into an 03 chevy avalanche btw.

I believe that would technically be considered a 4th order bandpass. I like doing 6th order's like that; it's kinda like a phase box without thought.

I know that the whole "port" will need to be properly tuned for the best performance.

My latest project; 87 Accord Hatchback!... Only got my 6 1/2's in it right now... I'm working on shining my engine to show quality right now, then I'll put it in. System will come around the 1st.

If you made the box 35"w*25"d*20"h, you would set your port dimensions at 33.5"w and play with how tall to make it till you get the right frequency with a 24.25" "length. This is just an example, I have no idea how big you are gonna make this box.

Edited by 3gAccord

My latest project; 87 Accord Hatchback!... Only got my 6 1/2's in it right now... I'm working on shining my engine to show quality right now, then I'll put it in. System will come around the 1st.

bro this is just like my thought but i think you would be better off with a regular sealed or ported box if you want to enjoy your system daily and listen to regular music.

the problem with bandpasses is that they are 1 hit wonders.

what i mean by that is that they will hit 1 tone the loudest loudest and all the are either gonna sound like dick in a can or just not that loud.

i actually just built one today it as just like that the thing it would hit is 46hz 38hz to 20 hz sounded like dick in a can.

so im just trying to help you out im not saying for you to do what i say im just trying to help

bro this is just like my thought but i think you would be better off with a regular sealed or ported box if you want to enjoy your system daily and listen to regular music.

what i mean by that is that they will hit 1 tone the loudest loudest and all the are either gonna sound like dick in a can or just not that loud.

i actually just built one today it as just like that the thing it would hit is 46hz 38hz to 20 hz sounded like dick in a can.

so im just trying to help you out im not saying for you to do what i say im just trying to help

A properly made bandpass is one of the best enclosures you can make, but only if you study your sub T/S parameters and make it perfect for the vehicle. That's why a lot of them you hear sound shitty. That's why I stick to ported boxes... I haven't graduated to advanced enclosures! lol

Edited by 3gAccord

A properly made bandpass is one of the best enclosures you can make, but only if you study your sub T/H parameters and make it perfect for the vehicle. That's why a lot of them you hear sound shitty. That's why I stick to ported boxes... I haven't graduated to advanced enclosures! lol

+1

Edited by footlongsam

--Sampson cool.gif

816-591-6592

www.kcrimshop.com

well my size constraints are roughly 49.5 wide by 19.5 tall. depth is not a concern since it will be in the "bed" of the avalanche.

2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66

would it be better for me to just go with a ported box built to RE's specs? it will be powered by a US Amps xt-4000D so roughly 1200-1500 RMS to both subs.

2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66

would it be better for me to just go with a ported box built to RE's specs? it will be powered by a US Amps xt-4000D so roughly 1200-1500 RMS to both subs.

You can make it loud and sound good with a simple ported box. You could make something better than a spec-box, though. They don't consider what kind of car it's going into, but it would be fine, not "best".

Edited by 3gAccord

anyone know what i should be aiming for as far as tuning and volume on a ported box? ive been playin with a few calculators and i seem to come up with roughly 6cuFt at 34Hz but not really sure how it will sound. according to RE's specs the volume should be 8cuFt total. will this affect the output of my subs if its tuned right but not large enough?

2003 Chevy Avalanche Z66