Sonic Electronix

Okay so, could someone explain what this is? I have an understanding of it, but like could you tell the differences between 1% - 4% and all that? Don't you want reallly really low like .08%?

does the percents ever mean that its clipping? like after it gets to like say 3 % it starts clipping? or does that not have anything to do with it?

also what does this mean

Power THD+N

also a queston not relating to THD, how do you find out what final ohm load you are at? Like if it says .7 ohm, but its actually 1 ohm nominal or something?

2002 ford explorer

200 amp rewound alt

single 18" Fi btl fully loaded

2 1750's

2 c&d tech 88amp/hr batts

2 ought wiring

cdt component set up front, cdt coaxials in back

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X693

• 2 weeks later...
bump

Here you go...

Total Harmonic Distortion:

When an amplifier is driven with a signal, the output of the amplifier is an amplified version of the input signal PLUS any distortion created by the amplifier. All amplifiers and signal processors add distortion to the signal. The levels of harmonic distortion in a high quality amplifiers are sooooo far below audibility that they are basically of no concern. When someone tells you that one amplifier is definitely going to sound better because its THD is rated at .002% vs an amp with .05%, you can be pretty sure that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Many people believe that THD below 1% is not audible and I believe they're probably correct. The fact is, especially in an automobile, the amplifier is the least of your worries. Speakers used for mids and highs commonly produce between 1% an 5% THD and for subwoofers the numbers can easily reach 10%. This doesn't even take into account all of the resonances of all of the plastic and metal panels in the vehicle.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com

also a queston not relating to THD, how do you find out what final ohm load you are at? Like if it says .7 ohm, but its actually 1 ohm nominal or something?

Post #5 and #6 will explain how to get your impedance rise and maybe look at post #6 before you read post #5. Then go back to post #6.

Here:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...t=0&start=0

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

LOL this actually got written because it was originally an impedance rise question.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

THD is a suckers stat to get you to buy the product.

The real killer is the intermodulated distortion that you really hear and never see on anyones build sheets.

Product X with 1.0% thd is no worse off than one with .00001% thd as you'lll never hear the difference between the 2, but with IM its freaking huge and yes you sure could hear the difference between the 2 amps.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Archived