Second Skin Audio

15s vs 18s

So For the last month or so I've been savin(college isnt cheap) to get some lvl 4 15s, I've never seen or heard DC personally but they get awesome reviews from basically everyone so im willing to take that risk. Lately Ive been pondering the idea of getting 18s instead but noticed the FS of the 15 is relatively lower. Does this mean the 18 wont get as low? I know it depends on the box, which i was planning on gettin tuned to around 34hz. The reason I'm debating is the fact that it may only require a lil more saving and no one around here has 15s as it is so 18s would blow everyone away. I planned on running 2k rms(1k each) and dont worry I will be upgrading my electrical before the new install. Just want some opinions on the whole 2x 15s vs 2x 18s. The 18s would move more air cuz more cone area but how would the SQ be, once again i know itll depend a lot on the box so.. maybe im kinda of answering my own questions but just want some opinions.

Was also considering the lvl4 xls if i can get my money right that way it wouldnt require a whole new set up for an upgrade.. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Old Setup
03 DurangoRF Power T1 6.5 CompsMids/Highs Amp: AQ4x90Sub Amp: AQ 3500.1DSubs: 2 DC XL 18sBox: 12ft^3 tuned to 33HzMechman 270 Amp AltXS 6500XS 3100 x2

Highest Score to date: 151.2 db @ Headrest

the lvl 4s and XLs go low... lol, i have experience with both of those 15s, if i had the room, i would go 18s in a heart beat..

I say 18s just because its a WTFBIGSUBWOOFERHITTINGLOWNOTESFTW

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

well if you got the space then go with the 18s if space is a issue then get 2 15s.that and like you already know make sure you got a good box for the subs.

Edited by Beanz
That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

Guess ill continue saving up and get 18s unless someone can persuade me why the 15s are better I listen to rock/rap. Basically knew what i wanted just needed someone to be like WTF GET 18S.. I drive an 03 durango so space shouldnt be too much of an issue..or am i wrong?

Edited by DGold

Old Setup
03 DurangoRF Power T1 6.5 CompsMids/Highs Amp: AQ4x90Sub Amp: AQ 3500.1DSubs: 2 DC XL 18sBox: 12ft^3 tuned to 33HzMechman 270 Amp AltXS 6500XS 3100 x2

i honestly like 15s over 18s... they jus seem to be better overall.. i know box has alot to do with it but from all the experience ive had.. my vote is with the 15s

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

I think if i decide to go with the XLs ill get 15s but if i get lvl 4 ill get 18s. Really all comes down to funds at the time. Hopefully everything goes okay then. Rough saving up through college.

Old Setup

I have an 18 and they love space so you have 12^3 or so do a couple 18's. They have plenty of SQ, box build is alsways key. But I'm like Eric, 15's do great if not better at times.

2003 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ

Pioneer 980BT

16 SA-10's - 4th Order Bandpass

NS-1 - 3 D3100's

DC & XS Power, Audio Technix, Sound Deadener Showdown

Team Sundown Audio

2k(1k each) until i want to upgrade it but i think for the time and money available thatll be right for awhile.

Edited by DGold

Old Setup