Sonic Electronix

Getting back into car audio. Need some advice.

Hey all. I haven't been into car audio for about five years, but my truck (2000 Dodge Dakota extended cab) will be paid off in the next few months and I've been thinking of putting a small system in it.

I've used about all the major brands out there as far as subs go. I always had lower to mid model subs. I think that the highest end sub that I ever tried was a Solobaric back when they first came out (yeah, a long time ago I know). I would like to try something a little more high end this time around and am not opposed to trying a company that isn't "mainstream".

I want to either buy from a trusted online source (Crutchfield or factory direct from a company) or from a local shop. There's only a couple of shops around here and they pretty much carry the standard brands (JL, Kicker, MTX, etc).

As far as what to get, that's why I'm here. Headunits, I'm kind of partial to Kenwood or Alpine as I've had good luck with them in the past. Amps, I have no idea. Subs, I'd like to stick with either a 10" or a really good 8" and keep the enclosure as small as possible. I do have a small sealed box for a 10" (.86 cubic feet). Other than that I need to start from scratch.

I listen to pretty much any type of music, but mostly hard rock and metal. I don't need something that will bounce quarters off the roof, but would like something that I can crank up if the mood strikes me. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars, but am leaning towards something that's a little more than "entry level".

Any thoughts or advice? I'm open to anything. Thanks for reading my long boring post.

Dan

AudioQue makes some great products and are pretty affordable for the performance. I have never ran any of their 10's but I have one 18 and a 1200 watt amp from them and it gets pretty loud in my little SUV for 1 sub and a small amp. HDC3 10" sub is $199+Shipping, and the AQ 1200 watt amp is $249 Shipped. The 10's through the 18's are all rated at 1000 Watts RMS, so the AQ1200 will push 1 perfectly, 1000 Watts RMS is a slightly underrated I belive for these subs. Check em out at www.audioque.com, hope I could be of some help.

1997 4 Runner

Alpine CDA-9886

4 Fi Audio X Series 12's

1 Crunch GP3000D Pro

DC Power Inc. Alternator(Kickin out 15+ volts!)

footer-fade.gif

Check out Sundown Audio, subs and amps are amazing and their customer service is second to none

1990 Chevy Suburban (Big Booty Judy)

(4) Sundown Audio Zv5 18's

(1) Sundown Audio Salt 12K

(1) Sundown Audio SAX-100.4

(1) Sundown Audio SAE-50.4

(2) Crossfire ST-1 Tweeters

(2) Obsidian Audio ST-1 tweeters

(4) Sundown Audio Neo Pro v3 6.5's

Saving 2nd Bass

Alot of company's have good componets now..

I was out of the game for about 10 years also got back in last year, there are alot of new players in the game. And they have upped the game by leaps and bounds, huge power now, hell I run more to my highs now than I had on my subs before....

There are alot of great companies here on thisa site,

Pretty much answer these questions:

1) what vehicle

2)electric upgrade

3)how loud

4) what type of music

5) sq or SPL

2007 Great Wall So Cool

4-12' RE audio MX's

Stetsom 7k2D

6-Batts

3-Mechman 250 amp Rhino's

Thanks for the replies so far. Audioque and DC Audio are catching my eye.

Pretty much answer these questions:

1) what vehicle

2)electric upgrade

3)how loud

4) what type of music

5) sq or SPL

1) 2000 Dodge Dakota ext. cab

2) Don't want to do much. Maybe a new battery.

3) I like it loud, but I'm not out to impress anyone two blocks away.

4) A little bit of everything, but mainly hard rock/metal.

5) I'd like it to sound good while still being able to get loud if I want it to.

This is a list of what I've used in the past (at least what I can remember):

Headunits-Kenwood, Clarion, Alpine.

Amps-Phoenix Gold, MTX, RF, Crossfire, PPI.

Subs-Crossfire, MTX, Kicker, JL, Adire Audio, Image Dynamics, Memphis.

I know there's more but that's all I can remember. I've usually just used my stock mids/highs, but did have some Alpine separates in my first truck. I'm not too concerned with replacing the factory speakers right now.

I'm also looking at something that can be moved into another vehicle in a few years, probably a small SUV (we are planning on expanding our family).

Dan

Edit: I don't know if you all gathered this already, but I'm looking at sticking with a single sub.

One other thing I thought of. What's everyones opinion on premade vehicle specific enclosures? Both loaded or unloaded and powered or unpowered. The kinds made by Q-Logic, MTX, etc.

1) 2000 Dodge Dakota ext. cab

2-pairs 6.5 comps, My MB Quarts can be had for around $150.00 total

2) Don't want to do much. Maybe a new battery.

Stay in the 750 to 1250 total watts range, because of Elec.

Highs 150-200watts amp sundown 50.4 or others here in the forsale section $200.00

3) I like it loud, but I'm not out to impress anyone two blocks away.

I tried, the JVC arsenial line, this time and was actually impressed $100.00-200.00

X-over and line driver, I like Audio control, they are getting a little dated, but still good ($50-200)

4) A little bit of everything, but mainly hard rock/metal.

Sub, I would pick something that would work well in a t-line... T-lines will get loud off of a little power, one good 10" in a high tune t-line of 750-1000 watts

Sub, 10" Re SE, Dc level 3, sundown, $100-150

Amp, SD, Diablo,RF, $250-350

XTerminator, Hifonics, Audio Pipe $150-250

Remember with a t-line you can get away with a smaller and cheaper amp..

5) I'd like it to sound good while still being able to get loud if I want it to.

2007 Great Wall So Cool

4-12' RE audio MX's

Stetsom 7k2D

6-Batts

3-Mechman 250 amp Rhino's

I said it before, but the Audioque and DC look very interesting. What "mainstream" subs out there would you all compare them to? Something that I might be able to find in a local shop to listen to (Kicker, JL, MTX, etc) and get an idea of what their output might be like? I'm hoping to use the sealed box I have (.86 cubic feet). Would either of those two subs work well in a box this small (looks like the DC works in .5-.7)?

Thanks again for the help so far. Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, but I want to make sure I get something that I will really like.

Dan

Archived