Upgrade to Win 7... Is it worth it ?

We were talking about the $120 one from bestbuy. It's just a Windows 7 upgrade package. The full OS is about $300+

Even an upgrade version is a full install disc. Upgrade versions require a previous install disc as proof or a current installation on the hard drive to upgrade.

I have xp on my home computer, and installed win 7 there as dual boot to try it. Vista on my laptop. The Win7 install was flawless and didn't require much input through the whole process. Win 7 is much faster than Vista and nicer to use.

Edited by toytrkdrvr

well at school they tolds us we could get it for 30 bucks if we had and edu email

the page is win741.com

dude that's badass! tho...i got mine free :D and was legit

and i never really had any problems with vista. had one recently, but dont think it was related to vista. upgraded to win 7 and i love it so far. it's very nice and aesthetically pleasing as well

At my place of work, which is Network Administration at a college in Australia, we are using 7 on all of our (IT Staff) machines, recording studio machine, show control machine plus any machine we can. Our verdict;

We love it. The GUI scores about a 4/5 (remove any look-flash Aero or what not), but the coding and kernel is top notch. We really do think it is miles ahead of anywhere Vista hoped to be. Once Aero is off, User Account Control is disabled and your machine tailored to your own use, it's fantastic.

That, and it recognised a six-disk RAID5 array and installed correctly without slipstreaming drivers. Just did it. MILES ahead of most operating systems, including most commercial Linux systems.

Upgrade, it actually is worth it.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

We were talking about the $120 one from bestbuy. It's just a Windows 7 upgrade package. The full OS is about $300+
Since he's already got Vista, all he'd need is the upgrade version.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

The ignorance in this thread is mind blowing.

Hmmm, where to start.

1) Windows 7 is NOT just an upgrade to or even an upgraded Windows Vista. Microsoft actually listened to people more during the development of windows 7. A lot of things have been redone.

2) I would not upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. I would do a full/fresh install. Remember the old thing about carrying over all the bugs from the previous version? Well, that could still be true. Better to play safe.

3) Windows 7 is less memory intensive. I'm running the 32bit with 2gig RAM. I have not hit one snag yet. Runs everything that I have ran on previous versions of Windows without any problems or having to use compatibility mode.

4) Windows 7 is faster than Vista. Hell, to me it's faster than XP Pro.

5) I have not had to really install any driver for hardware. Even though I do, because I think the drivers from the manufacturers are better. Everything I plug in both systems here are automatically found and running without having to reboot.

I could go on, but will stop there. I am running Windows 7 ultimate on a p4 2.8ghz system with over a T-Byte of hard drive space. 2gig of Ram and a 512Meg Nvidia based video card. I use it as a HTPC when I want to watch a movie or two. It's used as a file server and web server. I also do some graphics and gaming on it. It really doesn't slow down, unless my virus scanner kicks in to do it's daily full scan. Dual monitor support right after install of Windows 7. Currently on a 22" Princeton Graphics flatscreen and a Apex 32" flat screen t.v.. The TV runs at 1024x768. The 22" monitor runs at 1680 x 1050

I also run windows 7 ultimate on a Acer Aspire One netbook. It is unmodified (right now). I have not had a problem with it since I began Beta testing Windows 7. I've also done some photoshoping on that system without any hiccups. Dual monitor support right after install of windows 7. It's currently on a 17" flat screen and the 8.9" screen.

This times infinity + 1.

I'll go you one better in saying that I'm running it on my laptop with one gigs of ram, and that Pentium Dual Core that came out a couple years ago. Making the jump from Vista to the RC made a huge difference. With 7 on ONE gig of ram, I rarely ever encountered a hiccup. Granted, I haven't been doing any gaming on this computer, but using paint.net (FOSS alternative to Photoshop) on here hasn't given me any slowdowns.

As a matter of fact, I've since upgraded to two gigs of ram, and honestly haven't seen any performance change. Whereas with Vista, my brother has the exact same computer I do (except his had 2 gigs to my one) and he was faster than me by a long shot.

The biggest "problem" with vista is people were running it on under-spec'd computers. They were using the Home Basic specs as the Home Premium ones. Vista's biggest problem wasn't Microsoft's doing, it was the PC manufactures. That said, Vista was a memory hog, but if you were running it on a computer meant to run it, most people would have had no problems.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

You can get a free upgrade kit if you bought your computer after June 26 09'

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offer...ade-option.aspx

03' Reg Cab 2500HD

Alpine 9807 H/U

Infinity Ref 6.5" Front Speakers

Pioneer 4"x6" Rear Speakers

Quantum Audio 1100.1 Amp