Sonic Electronix

Hey guys, new guy to the site. Been around here for a while researching and looking through all the amazing stuff some of you guys are doing with your systems and i must say you guys have taken it to a whole new level. Last september i purchased a 2006 Grand Prix and through the winter months i spent some time planning out my system.

24420222141.jpg

Since this pic ive had my windows tinted 6% on the back 3 and 50% on the front, but no pics yet.

Well, im rather new to car audio, had a few systems before but nothing major and i had never done the install. This time i decided i would get my hands dirty and learn the hard way.

Heres whats going in:

Iraggi 220amp alt

yellow top under the hood

2- kinetik 2400's in the trunk

Eclipse CD7000

Hertz High energy 6.5"

2-FI BL's in a 4.5cf. ported box tuned to 32hz

2- Sundown 1500's

1- Sundown 100/4

Big 3 all done with 1/0

Roughly 75ft of dynamat

So yesterday after work i got started and got my deck installed and then began on the big 3. During the big 3 i ran into a few problems and wanted to know what you guys think. On newer cars the frames are getting cheaper and cheaper. All the cross supports are alluminum and honestly there isnt much of a "frame". So for now i found a solid spot next to the factory ground on the body and polished a new spot for my grounds. Is this acceptable?

Also wanted to ask about my planned ground for the rear batteries. I removed my spare tire and dynamated all of it and made sure they fit. But then i couldnt figure out where i was going to ground to. Also, is it acceptable to run my amp grounds to the battery ( less than 1ft ) and then make a few nice grounds from each 2400 in the trunk?

Last question ... I dont really plan to do competitions. Maybe a local one here and there just to have some fun and see what kind of potential my system has. So for a daily setup, should i make 2 runs from the front bat. to the rear (2 pos 2 neg ) or is 1 sufficient and just run them all in parallel?

Sorry if this has been addressed before, its just that each system and the purpose of each system changes and i really dont want to mess this up lol.

I know what you're saying about them cheap "aluminum" cross supports.... I grounded my big three on a bigger one of those, but the best is on some solid part of the frame that your trunk shares. The more welds and stuff the current has to flow through, the more resistance it'll build up, so I'd say find a real solid spot lower down than the factory spot and ground your amps to a similar area, but in the trunk. The factory spot on my blazer was not a very good spot.

you can run a continuity test on a DMM to see how much resistance there is between 2 grounding locations.

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

Last question ... I dont really plan to do competitions. Maybe a local one here and there just to have some fun and see what kind of potential my system has. So for a daily setup, should i make 2 runs from the front bat. to the rear (2 pos 2 neg ) or is 1 sufficient and just run them all in parallel?

If your willing to spend extra money on extra wire, go nuts, it wont hurt anything but will help with resistance problems.

Run a pos from your alt back, a pos from your battery back. and run a neg from the battery back, and might as well run a neg from the alt bracket to the back. Also make sure to find a good ground in your trunk for your batteries too.

If your willing to spend extra money on extra wire, go nuts, it wont hurt anything but will help with resistance problems.

Run a pos from your alt back, a pos from your battery back. and run a neg from the battery back, and might as well run a neg from the alt bracket to the back. Also make sure to find a good ground in your trunk for your batteries too.

Well i actually have plenty of extra 1/0 left, i could easily make those runs. I wasnt exactly sure how much it was gonna take when i placed my order so i went crazy. As far as the grounds go, i took a closer look today and the only decent ground i could find near the trunk would be to drill through the tire well and theres actual frame there instead of cheap alluminum. I would guess its roughly a 12" - 16" distance give or take. If thats something you guys recommend, then would i just use a bushing like on the firewall and then maybe touch it up with some undercoating to make a solid seal?

id do two runs of pos and neg from the front to the back. also, ground to the same piece of metal as the factory ground from the engine block.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

id do two runs of pos and neg from the front to the back. also, ground to the same piece of metal as the factory ground from the engine block.

Well i was hoping to find a better ground. The factory ground is nothing more than a screw going through the body just before my right quarter panel area. I tell ya, these newer cars arent system friendly :angry:

wow. i didnt realize they were made so chinsy cause my car is an 89 and its built like a rock. if you dont believe me, look at my odometer. 260,000 and counting!

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

wow. i didnt realize they were made so chinsy cause my car is an 89 and its built like a rock. if you dont believe me, look at my odometer. 260,000 and counting!

lol. my 94 s10 is perfect except for the body (rust) and its at 272,xxx. the old cars are outrageous if you take care of them.

2002 Chevy Blazer 2 door

1-18" Fi BTL, 1 T2000.1bd, 8 ft box before displacement tuned to 33Hz, Big 3 done in 1/0

Havent been metered yet

Archived