Sonic Electronix

I have been doing a bit of web surfing on this and I know that some years of the Pontiac Fiero and some of the Mazda Miatas had speakers in the headrests. Some of the reviews I have read have seemed to yield good results- the only problem is, they aren't reviews from Audio Fanatics. More or less, they are just regular Joes who say "yeah! it sounds good now!". So- I want real audio junkie thoughts...

imagesspeakersseatfront.jpg

DSC03214.jpg

What I want to know is if anyone here has done this or sat in a seat like this that is already in a vehicle with a system. I am very curious to see what would happen if I did this.

If I did this, I would prob. get speakers somewhere in the 3" range that were "one way" mids. Pretty much would be working midrange and vocals in the 125-4,000 hz range- don't need tweeters screaming directly into my ears. I would get 4 of them, 4 ohms each, to wire them to an 8 ohm load on left and right on my available amp. 8 ohms = less wattage and cleaner sound on my amps. Then I could put an L-Pad in there to attenuate them if needed to match them to the rest of the system to my liking.

I also have 4 Aura Bass Shakers that I could mount directly in the seats while I was at it. They are mounted to the floor under the seats right now, but what they put out mostly gets lost while driving or while the bass is up anywhere north of "off". LOL.

05f5_1.JPG

Put two of those in each seat too... maybe one by the butt and another mid-back. :D

Any opinions? What do you guys think???

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Aww yes the good ole Fiero headrest speakers...All I can really say about them is Fail! They really mess up the sound stage and they get really painful after awhile, I was never a fan of this idea but it looks cool if thats your thing. I would pass on it but it's totally up to you. If you did it, the bass shakers are a must to complete the retro look and feel of the system man! :hairtrick:

The Shoe Maker without shoes!

agreed not worth it to do.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Blast!

Thought it would be cool.... meh....

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

the new infiniti's with their quarter million speaker systems put one in each shoulder area facing up on either side of the headrest. but between a center, doors with mids and tweets, 4 across the seats, rears, woofer, its sounds like garbage. i mean i guess its loud and clean, but it has no warmth in the mids, no sparkle in the highs (no highs, no lows, it must be bose), no volume over what a single decent pair of components could put out, and a sound stage that sounds more like you're in a speaker than on a stage.

basically its a gimmic as big as those acoustimass subwoofers and soundbars.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

the new infiniti's with their quarter million speaker systems put one in each shoulder area facing up on either side of the headrest. but between a center, doors with mids and tweets, 4 across the seats, rears, woofer, its sounds like garbage. i mean i guess its loud and clean, but it has no warmth in the mids, no sparkle in the highs (no highs, no lows, it must be bose), no volume over what a single decent pair of components could put out, and a sound stage that sounds more like you're in a speaker than on a stage.

basically its a gimmic as big as those acoustimass subwoofers and soundbars.

X2 on that.

My Aura Bass shakers are just a novelty. When you turn them up where you can feel it and everything on them is working perfectly it is really cool.... for a minute. Then it gets a bit annoying, then it just starts to piss me off. So back down in volume they go. :D

i would point and laugh....

You big meanie. :lol:

Edited by Colin - 1HVYHTR

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Personally i think having a speaker right there would be annoying as hell, especially if it's pretty loud.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer... New setup, old ride... QX56 is staying stock til I get loud... It's only getting walled off if I don't meet my goal @ SBN.

Pioneer AVIC-N2

(12) 12" RE SXs old model.... (3) AB VFL 500.1 @ 1ohm each

Dual 300amp Ohio Gen alts.... (10) Northstar NSB-125s

26ft3 @ 33hz w/ a ton of port area

156.5 @ 40hz @ dash, Db Drag style / 153.2 Bassrace

ive got a 93 miata with speakers in the seats... the ones in the head rest are not very loud... acutally they are so quiet that they just sound like a rear stage.... they kinda blend in.... it mostly just feels like bass shakers in the seats....

i dont think it would be pleasent having speakers in your headrests unless they were only on like 1watt...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?