Sundown Audio

Old school amps versus new stuff.

vj226966

I feel that some of the older stuff is great if its still in working condition. look at the old tube amps. they sounded great. nice warm sound to them. sum of the old PPI art series stuff. Soundstream, (no not soundstorm) before they were sold and bought and sold and bought... their amps were great. I miss my old Referance 6.0, it got hot, super hot. but todays amps are so much more efficient. I would get the new stuff, save time and money. do it right the first time. I wish I would have done the setup I have now first instead of spending a but load of cash that I didnt need to.

Realy the only "old school" amps i will be using is an Orion 2100 HCCA and a Soundstream 500s.The Orion has been modded with a few upgrades.My subs are custom built 15s that i got from a member on here.Everything else im using is "new".

ok so i get the fact that u want to relive the past with old amps. but old amps are not going to last, i had a old gem that cauth fire in my back seat and i had to put it out. there just not safe and not reliable. now i dont know what type of car u have or what level of loud, but if u want good prices on things look up ikesound.com plus us-amps makes great amps at a great cost.

That particular old school amp did not last. i have people who have ran the same amps for a very long time (10+ years). To generalize like that is wrong.

just read some of this. possibly the reason you could run 5 amps and not have too bad of dimming was you didnt have 7+ things drawing current in the old cars. in modern cars we have everything electronic and the car almost needs 60-70 amps of current to run itself, let alone a big stereo system.

Just my .02

Current Setup:

Factory HU with LOC

mids/highs-Insignia components

Sub- E8 in bass tube

Amp- sae-1200d

Show Setup:

HU-Sony MEX-1HD (brings massive respect for sony)

fronts - Infinity Kappa perfect comps

rears- Infinity Kappa coax

mid/high amp - Autotek 5600

Subs - 2 RE SE 15's

Sub Amps - 2xSAE-1200D

Box - 5cubes sealed

Wire- Lots of Knu 1/0

SECOND SKIN

ok so i get the fact that u want to relive the past with old amps. but old amps are not going to last, i had a old gem that cauth fire in my back seat and i had to put it out. there just not safe and not reliable. now i dont know what type of car u have or what level of loud, but if u want good prices on things look up ikesound.com plus us-amps makes great amps at a great cost.

umm i think something else was wrong with your setup i have run us amps 400 from 97 until now in various vehicles iv'e owned it is very clean and accurate puts out a ton of power.i also ran rockford fosgate power 300 5channel amp for highs. this amp is so old and rare you can't find at all on the net. i have never had a problem with them catching fire blowing out or anything. and crank my systems pretty loud. and i ran these off of stock alt with 2ga wire and optima yellowtop. i really hate when people say that old school stuff isnt reliable its all in the user and the brand. pick crappy brand, expect fire lol.

umm i think something else was wrong with your setup i have run us amps 400 from 97 until now in various vehicles iv'e owned it is very clean and accurate puts out a ton of power.i also ran rockford fosgate power 300 5channel amp for highs. this amp is so old and rare you can't find at all on the net. i have never had a problem with them catching fire blowing out or anything. and crank my systems pretty loud. and i ran these off of stock alt with 2ga wire and optima yellowtop. i really hate when people say that old school stuff isnt reliable its all in the user and the brand. pick crappy brand, expect fire lol.

I agree 100%

just read some of this. possibly the reason you could run 5 amps and not have too bad of dimming was you didnt have 7+ things drawing current in the old cars. in modern cars we have everything electronic and the car almost needs 60-70 amps of current to run itself, let alone a big stereo system.

Just my .02

You know what,that is a realy good idea.I never thought of that and that makes good sense.Alot of those amps were also rated at 12 volts to make there power,not like amps today need to be at least14. whatever.With them old amps the more volts you had the more power was made.So my Orion 2100 should be just right for me with what im going with.

WOW, just WOW! :unknw:

• 6 years later...

If you are going for a budget, thats also loud, check mine, i got two kicker comp 12's on a hifonics brutus series 1200 watt amp in a sealed pre fab box, all in all i spent about 400 dollars for speakers, box, amp, and wiring, and of course, wired it all myself. IMO you would get off cheaper, louder, and more reliable by buying new stuff.

Yes im on a budget.I have about 2500.00.I know what i want but the extras what killing me.The only problem is powering the sub amp.I see people on here and you tube with say a Kicker 2500.1 or a Saz 3500 and 1 extra batt when everyone says i need 2 or 3.I just dont understand if i pick a sub that needs say 1000 watts,and i pick up a old amp that does that why wouldnt that work or sound good?

2500? That's what's in mine. Including electrical upgrades. 2 140amp power master alts. $350

Kinetic 1800 $200

4 hawker 13ah batts $110

Pioneer prs80. $300

Rexxx18. $350

Orion xtr2400pro $400

Phoenix gold xenon200.4 $300

Hertz high energies. $200

Plus wiring

That's over 3000 watts.

Most of that was used and collected over time. And those prices are in Canadian mostly too. Yes $2500 could build you a nice system.

If you are going for a budget, thats also loud, check mine, i got two kicker comp 12's on a hifonics brutus series 1200 watt amp in a sealed pre fab box, all in all i spent about 400 dollars for speakers, box, amp, and wiring, and of course, wired it all myself. IMO you would get off cheaper, louder, and more reliable by buying new stuff.

Yes im on a budget.I have about 2500.00.I know what i want but the extras what killing me.The only problem is powering the sub amp.I see people on here and you tube with say a Kicker 2500.1 or a Saz 3500 and 1 extra batt when everyone says i need 2 or 3.I just dont understand if i pick a sub that needs say 1000 watts,and i pick up a old amp that does that why wouldnt that work or sound good?

2500? That's what's in mine. Including electrical upgrades. 2 140amp power master alts. $350

Kinetic 1800 $200

4 hawker 13ah batts $110

Pioneer prs80. $300

Rexxx18. $350

Orion xtr2400pro $400

Phoenix gold xenon200.4 $300

Hertz high energies. $200

Plus wiring

That's over 3000 watts.

Most of that was used and collected over time. And those prices are in Canadian mostly too. Yes $2500 could build you a nice system.

Did you realize the last post you quoted was in October 2009. :yahoo:

If it's not hart stopping it not real POWER

d5a12bcc-c31a-4c2d-90bd-394ef746eb7a_zps0ea163ed-8f00-4686-8c3d-77bccbd0ea03_zps

Love this topic , when I was 16 had 3 punch 12 audiophiles on a punch 500m in a dodge shadow hatchback and I swear it was the loudest system ever. Even now I know my system is way louder now but my brain still thinks the past was louder . Probably just great memories.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Archived