Second Skin Audio

SecondSkin Spectrum as underbody-liner w/*PICS*

For awhile now, I've been trying to find a good underbody spray that works well and at the same time lasts. I've used a number of sprays, like 3m, bondo, duplex, (many more) and they were all ineffective. Now I cant stand rust, and I mean anywhere, even if it's not seen so you can imagine how much I hate it when I try to protect something and it doesn't work.

Soo when I was looking through the *** website and realized that Spectrum is also able to be used as an underbody liner, I whipped out my credit card and got 3 gallons.

IMG_1032.jpg

here's the truck

IMG_1033.jpg

now I applied this in two ways, I brushed it on, and then I also used a spray gun. *IF SPRAYING, BUY THE SPRAY GUN THAT'S ON *** WEBSITE!!* I decided to buy one from harbor freight and it worked, but it was awkward as hell and I couldn't use it in all the places I wanted to.

spray gun

IMG_1039.jpg

pics of before

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Just before applying it I brushed all the surfaces off with a wire brush and blew it off with an airhose.

(not finished)

IMG_1040.jpg

back wheel well

IMG_1041.jpg

I'm still not finished, and if you see a difference in the color its because some of it was still drying.

I would highly recommend using spectrum, it's very durable (tried to scrape and brush it off with a wire brush and it didn't even scratch it :) ). and it also offers sound deadening as well.

I'll post some more pics when I'm done lining the whole underbody.

Edited by Farmacist

Team Soundstream

Team Xs Power

Team Secondskin Audio

Team Mechman

sounds like good stuff i thought about doing this as well but i wasnt sure if the color would fade out to a grey after awhile.

also that spray gun in the picks is for spraying texture in houses and that hopper makes in akward as fuck!! lol i know what you are talking about in akwardness.

Roseville, CA

Very nice. Just one question, what is the drying time for this product?

some parts were dry in as little as a half hour, it really depends on how thick you put it on,

brushing requires more coats because its not as thick as just spraying, but you get more control of what you are coating when you use a brush.

sounds like good stuff i thought about doing this as well but i wasnt sure if the color would fade out to a grey after awhile.

also that spray gun in the picks is for spraying texture in houses and that hopper makes in akward as fuck!! lol i know what you are talking about in akwardness.

I tried putting the spectrum in a different spray gun but it was too thick, that one I used was the only one that would spray it... I'm actually going to return that tomorrow and order the one off the site.

i like it ....maybe time to do the "ghost"underneath

what "ghost" ? lol

Team Soundstream

Team Xs Power

Team Secondskin Audio

Team Mechman

some parts were dry in as little as a half hour, it really depends on how thick you put it on,

brushing requires more coats because its not as thick as just spraying, but you get more control of what you are coating when you use a brush.

I tried putting the spectrum in a different spray gun but it was too thick, that one I used was the only one that would spray it... I'm actually going to return that tomorrow and order the one off the site.

what "ghost" ? lol

some people call my truck ...the "gHoSt"

Great write up man!

Spectrum is an awesome product. Glad you like it. I formulated it myself.

To answer a question that was brought up in this thread, Spectrum is waterbased so it takes 30 days to fully cure.

It will skin over and be dry to the touch in 15-45 minutes depending on temperature and humidity levels.

It will be 50% solid in 24 hours.

It will be 75% solid in 72 hours

Sound deadening results will kick in about 3 or 4 days in, and will continue to increase over the entire 30 day cure time.

Hope that helps!

ANT

secondskin_468x60.gif

I added a thick layer to the floor in my car in front of the wall. about 1/8" thick and with two days it was dry enough for me to comfortably build my wall without messing with the spectrum. Awesome stuff and nice review :)

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew