My battery just burn off my hand

just hooked up my new subs and amp, played em for about 30 mins..started raining so i got out real quick and went to take the power cable off my battery. unhooked the negative just to be safe then went to touch the positive and HOLY shit I am typing this without using my index finger or thumb. I have huge swollen up blisters now, worse i have ever been burned. Is this because the battery was having too much current transfer so it got insanely hot?? Time for a kinetik or optima?

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

"You didn't have an ice pick on you? Amateur. " -- Wax from Fchat.

Well everything is off now so its safe.

Its rockford 4 gauage to the DC 1k. I will probably grab me an optima yellow top.

SUCCESS is a decision, NOT a dream. You have to name the price you are willing to pay to get it.

It sounds like you have a bad connection at your positive battery terminal. Resistance=Heat. take a multimeter and set it to voltage. Start with one of your probes on the negative POST (not the battery clamp, on the post itself). Take your other probe and touch the positive post and record your voltage. then move onto the battery clamp thats on the post and record your voltage. Next go onto the wire as it enters the clamp on the battery. Wire going into the fuseholder, hot side of fuseholder to fuse, fuse to amp side of fuseholder etc etc etc. Keep testing each time you have a connection the whole way back or until you get a big difference in voltage, i want to say 0.5 volts from one point to another would be where you need to stop. That point will be your resistance. Fix it and everything should be better. Schoshe fuseblocks are notorious for getting warm and melting the plastic around the machined parts and melting the plastic on Maxi fuses as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this, got an optima yellow top in the mail this week, put it in yesterday. Swear the system slams harder. But anyway, posts still getting hot.

Sometimes its not hot all, cant really figure it out. For example, it was hot from me testing it out in my driveway. So I went out and drove around without bass, and it was much cooler when I got back. So pointing out the obvious, its the stereo doing it.

The while I had the battery in I didn't notice it getting even barely warm...Yesterday I drove to a friends house, bumped the whole way there (10 mins) then gave him a demo, so pushing the system the whole time, opened the hood at his house, not even hot.

But then today bumped it in my driveway again for 5 mins tops, and it was pretty hot.

In other words, it makes no sense.

Any words of advice??

Checked the voltage at post, clamp, wire, and fuse...all the same

Guest DC Power Kyle

Make sure nothing is becoming loose... cause that really sounds like a loose wire somewhere moving around and catching resistance and making heat. Triple check your wiring and do resistance measures between wiring with a DMM.

You know, my ground from my amp was loose to where its bolted, subs keep rattling it out, might need some loctite.