Shared Memory

My mom recently bought a new HP laptop, and I noticed that the video card is set to 32 MB and it says there is 256MB shared memory. I was wondering if there is a way to up the RAM going to my graphics so I get better performance out of the graphics (128 would be NICE). Get back at me with some answers. Thanks.

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

My mom recently bought a new HP laptop, and I noticed that the video card is set to 32 MB and it says there is 256MB shared memory. I was wondering if there is a way to up the RAM going to my graphics so I get better performance out of the graphics (128 would be NICE). Get back at me with some answers. Thanks.

Most premade computers/laptops you cannot play with this setting. But if you wanted to use 128 you will ultimately slow your computer down. becuase half of its memory will go soley to the graphics. But if you still wnat to try you just go into bios and go through some of the lists and look for video shard memory. You should be able to change the amount of memory beeing used by the video card.

System Specs:

Alpine SWR-1542D 15" sub

Sealed Subwoofer Box

MTX mxa 6001 Class D 774watts RMS @ 2ohms

MTX Bass Knob

Pioneer 6.5's in doors

MTX Thunderdome 6x9 in rear

Stinger 1 Farad capacitor

80 amp stinger fuse

BIG 3 in 4 gauge wire

4 gauge power/ground wire

JVC MP3 CD Car Deck (KD-G320)

12 gauge Monster speaker wire to Sub

16 gauge Stinger speaker wire to doors

Stinger Gold Plated Battery Terminals

• 1 month later...

yep, shared memory uses system memory instead of graphical memory. so if you have 512 MB of system memory installed, and you up the video memory to its highest setting (which actually only comes out to 224 MB, not 256) you will be using 200 MB of system memory for graphics. its a nice feature if you got at least a gig of ram in your laptop. and to change this setting, go into your laptop bios, and change the "video memory" or something of that sort to "MaxDVMT"

16321145278.jpg

This "new" laptop only came with 256mb memory? Seems kinda low, I'm guessing it's a used laptop that is just new to you? If it's brand new it probbaly came with Windows Vista and I would want at least 1gig of RAM since Vista blows so much ass (my dad just got a new laptop with Vista and 512mb RAM and it's slow as balls lol). I would be more worried about the system having enough memory to function properly with 256mb of RAM before trying to get better performance out of the graphics (I don't think you would like the performance of your laptop if you upped the memory going to your graphics). Check eBay and you might get lucky and find some good cheap memory, I got a brand new 256mb stick of corsair memory for my old dell laptop for only 7 bucks plus shipping. That added to the integraded 128mb it already had gave it a nice little performance boost, but getting good graphics on my old laptop just aint happening lol, it works for what I use it for though.

if you can get into system BIOS you can sometimes mess with the memory, and if not hp's usually up it themselves when you're playing a game or something.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Computer was purchased the first day vista came out, it is 256 SHARED. gotta gig of ram, dual core processor, its a nice computer, I just wanted to run some games on it for lans, instead of taking my desktop...

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Computer was purchased the first day vista came out, it is 256 SHARED. gotta gig of ram, dual core processor, its a nice computer, I just wanted to run some games on it for lans, instead of taking my desktop...

Got ya lol, reading late at night owns me... :P

good luck gaming on that computer. laptops arent the best for gaming. ive got 2 gigs of ram 256 ati graphics and a 2 ghz dual core processor and i have to turn the graphics down on games like oblivion.

what kind of games were you plannin on playin?

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

I dont really plan on gaming on it, I just wanna get some unreal 2k4 lans in. It has no problem running it really, its just some times is a little laggy with stuff. I dont wanna take my bulky desktop everywhere.

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Archived