Alternator Pros, check this out!

I like em' so much I got hundreds of them. :) I thought about letting a few go tho. idk yet...

:rofl:

I am interested in what Caddy is talking about as well, as I cannot afford a HO alt but may be able to have a stocker 'fail' and rebuild my spare with a 220 amp kit. As long as it does more than 105 reliably I would be more than happy.

Too many projects, too little time...

so you had a defective alternator?

Well the one wire for the brush was stuck between the spring and the ceramic housing, after the brush worn down Im the spring didnt push it out farther to make a complete circuit..

I just went to my buddies junkyard and grabbed a working reman off the shelf, going to replace the burshes.

If your 300 amp Iraggi did indeed do only 235 amps you must have got the 220 by mistake. I would have had no problem whatsoever getting the correct alt to you if I had known. Do you still have the alt?

The external regulator is not needed unless you want to be able to adjust your voltage high. That would save you $100.00

Have you seen the vid of our 300 amp alt? Its the same as when you purchased yours.

Orginonally it was a dominator series, after talking to you via phone you said for another said amount of money I could get the amputator for better output and a longer warranty. Hence the 2nd paypal payment which was at the time the difference in price between the 2 alts for my 93 caddy sts.

That $600 price tag is a little misleading. You got the $99 external regulator. How much is an MLA? I assumed it was $139 or something. Have no idea tho. The external regulator is way better than an MLA.

Dom

Maybe misleading, maybe not. At the time of purchase there was no such thing as a MLA module (however your correct a regulator is cheaper then MLA). However I paid $240 shipped for my 250amp rhino series mechman with the same external voltage regulator. Either way Ive read that you dont warranty your alternators that where used with a MLA unit, so Mr Meades alts have no warranties Im assuming correct?

I have had zero problems with my iraggi alt I've been running it for almost a year now

Ive had no problems with mine either, it ran and ran fine, however when I went to sell it since it didnt fit my truck someone tried to buy it for a 100$ and said they can get it recased to fit there surburban for $70. I then called and spoke with Dom and he said it couldnt be done and wanted me to buy a new alt.. At that point I got to wondering and checked other companies and got it tested, and was told it wasnt worth spending the $60 to recase on such a low output unit, and got my mechman.

At that point, I would of felt bad selling it to anyone as a 300amp unit which didnt even do 250 amps. Im sure Dom may have shipped me the wrong alt, which could of been why It didnt do said 300 amps max. Honest logical mistake we both could of over looked.

So anyways, I got home at about 9:45pm from running to my buddies junkyard. He came in to open up shop for me to get a alt for its brushes. I went thru the big shelf full of alternators and found a matching case GM alt which I suspected to have my parts. It was a reman alt that was pretty new yet (and the brushes prove that since theres minimal wear).

Notice the closed sign... :)

200911152113_107.jpg

Alt from junkyard.

200911152148_108.jpg

taking it apart.

200911152159_109.jpg

The windings from my mechman on the left, stock alt on right. The size is pretty noticable.

200911152203_111.jpg

The white thingys with the brushes I got to unsolder swap and resolder from one to the other.

200911152204_112.jpg

Unsoldered

200911152219_113.jpg

resoldered

200911152224_113.jpg

re-assembly

200911152229_114.jpg

Dont know if you can see the little allen wrench sticking out of the white thingy, but that is holding the burshes back so I can put the big spinny thingy back in place. once in place I pull the allen wrench out and brushes make contact.

200911152232_115.jpg

windings back in

200911152234_116.jpg

big spinny thingy back in

200911152236_117.jpg

and all together.

200911152241_118.jpg

the only thing I don't like is the guy who runs the company or used to was a complete douche. He's been around a long time and always acted like a prick. Didnt sit well with me.

i called the site once to talk to a guy about a possible alternator problem. forget who i talked to, but the guy was very helpful and nice. bought a new rectifier kit, only to find out i have no ways to put it on with how it's soldered on :( now i have an alt just sitting, with a rectifier kit just sitting lol.

looks like an easy enough fix for yours tho. now just to check and see if it's working right

Bought a new rectifier kit, only to find out i have no ways to put it on with how it's soldered on :( now i have an alt just sitting, with a rectifier kit just sitting lol.

looks like an easy enough fix for yours tho. now just to check and see if it's working right

I dont know what kind of alt you got, but mine was super easy, 3 different sized sockets, a soldering gun, and a small allen wrench to hold the brushes in.

First alt I ever took apart too!

Anyways, put the alternator back on to test it...

stock alt

200911152259_119.jpg

stock alt off

200911152303_120.jpg

mechman back on

200911152314_121.jpg

and fire in the hole!

th_fixedmechman.jpg

200911152315_122.jpg

Once in a while, all alternator builders will have an occasional defective component. Sometimes a brush lead can break off, that is just one of those situations that is rare, and cannot really be helped. Glad you were able to fix it yourself, of course we would have been more than happy to repair it for you under warranty.

Archived