Sundown Audio

WTF!!! Amp help (bad install)

mhuck123

OK so I have a Zapco 3.0 that WAS in my car for the last few years. Everything was fine and I had it "professionally" installed because I just didn't want to deal with it at the time since I was so busy at work etc. So here is what happened.

At first the amp would have the right side cut out at low volume, if I turn it up (over 50% max volume) then both channels work fine. At the time I though a loose wire (Zapco uses simblink so no RCA's) or a bad wire. Since I had 2 Zapcos I switched the wires but the amp still acted crazy so def. not the wires. After a few more weeks then the other side goes out, this time the right side works and the left does not. So I pulled the amp and noticed right away a problem, the amp is screwed in with 2 screw THROUGH the spare tire well and the screws are rusted. No grommets or anything. Now I'm suspicious and pulled the amp apart and inside (no pics, forgot to shoot when it was apart and the thing is a BITCH to take apart) there are some rust colored "drips" throught the board. It looks like condensation got into the amp through the little mounting hole.

So my question is can this be repaired? Is there a substance used for cleaning boards on amps that wont damage the electrical? I can scrape them off with my nail gently but there are quite a few. None of the board or anything else looks fried and no smells or anything that I can see. Everything else seems to work OK and it seems that the little rust stains are basically blocking the signal hence the working when the volume (signal) is turned up. I'm def. not a tech. so anyone who does this can you tell me what I can do? I need this amp now to run 4 8's in my doors and I don't want to buy a new one!

If pics are an absolute must I can get them but like I said it's a bitch!!!

Starting From Scratch!!

last time i remember something being professionally installed was self tap screws and copper T's

BUILDLOG

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=61862

"98crewcab"Never a POS....just always "a work in progress" lol that's how we roll bitches!!!

Your a lowlife kid. I bet your mother wants to kill herself for not swallowing your ass.

I doubt that it's rust. It's probably excess flux from when the amp was built. If you have a soldering iron try heating a bit of it, if it bubbles/steams off with a kinda sickly smell then it's flux :)

I wouldnt mess with this amp, unless you know what you are doing........It is much easier to send it to someone that knows how to fix it and does the job right the first time. I would highly suggest Chris at [email protected] he is the man when it comes to fixing amps. Just my $.02

12 Volts Baby!!!!

Team Stetsom USA

Team Stinger

Team RENOTS

Db-Drag World Finalist 05,06,08,09

Maryland State Record Holder 05,06,07,08,09

2009 Certified Score 161.0 Db-Drag SS 1-2

NSPL Maryland State Record 06,07,08,09

443-623-4952

I wouldnt mess with this amp, unless you know what you are doing........It is much easier to send it to someone that knows how to fix it and does the job right the first time. I would highly suggest Chris at [email protected] he is the man when it comes to fixing amps. Just my $.02

Point taken, will contact him and see what can be done.

Starting From Scratch!!

Emailed him personally and went to the website to start a ticket. No responce so far. Anyone else?

Starting From Scratch!!

Emailed him personally and went to the website to start a ticket. No responce so far. Anyone else?

talk to chris, he'll do you right.

give him a couple of hours and he will get back at you.

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel