Charging Multipal batteries

having AGM batts connected to a wet cell without an isolator will shorten their lifespan as well.

AGMs need a special method of charging. Take em up to a certian level, then drop em down for a certain time period, then another level for another certain time period.

Special AGM battery chargers do this automatically and monitor voltage so that they do not overcharge the batts.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

my suggestion would be to just return that charger and get yourself a fully automatic charger that is made for AGM batteries.

Might as well keep it as it is a starting charger.. can use it for other vehicles. got it on sale for 69.00 on black friday

I found one that said it was fully automatic and can charge all types of batteries including agm.

Do AGM chargers charge at a different voltage or something?

You need a maintainer more than a quck charger. Something that you can hook up overnight daily and has the circuitry in it to desulfate and cycle the batteries. A charger of this type will discharge the batteries and then fully charge them and in FLOAT mode it will pulse charge them instead of a steady charge. You will get much better life out of your batteries if you use the right charger. If I remember right mine was right around $120 and it kept my battery bank fully charged/maintained durring two different year long deployments. I plug my truck in everytime it is in the garage using the quick connect that I tucked behind the front grille.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

You need a maintainer more than a quck charger. Something that you can hook up overnight daily and has the circuitry in it to desulfate and cycle the batteries. A charger of this type will discharge the batteries and then fully charge them and in FLOAT mode it will pulse charge them instead of a steady charge. You will get much better life out of your batteries if you use the right charger. If I remember right mine was right around $120 and it kept my battery bank fully charged/maintained durring two different year long deployments. I plug my truck in everytime it is in the garage using the quick connect that I tucked behind the front grille.

That is what I was thinking of doing a quick connect though the front grille.

He is the other charger I was looking at what do you guys think of this? Schumacher 12/8/2 Amp Auto Marine Charger SC-1200A

my suggestion would be to just return that charger and get yourself a fully automatic charger that is made for AGM batteries.

agreed.

We have that exact same charger at work and the only thing we use it for is the 200amp engine start to jump cars... all of our kinetiks and vmax's are charged by a charger that actually has a chip in it that monitors voltage and can test if a battery is bad... without that chip you can very easily cause damage to your battery.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vector-1087...8#ht_1579wt_939

that is the charger ^^^

Edited by Shyne151

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

this is the one that I have, it has taken care of my kinetik battery bank for several years trouble free.

CLICK

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

this is the one that I have, it has taken care of my kinetik battery bank for several years trouble free.

CLICK

I just picked this up SSC-1500A and it does desulfate too.

# 15amp Fast charge; 10 amp medium charge; 2 amp trickle

# Microprocessor controlled

# Multi-stage automatic charging

# Float-mode monitoring

# Battery test

# Desulphation/restore mode (prolongs battery life)

# Slim Profile

# High-impact Case

# Electronic Push-button controls

# Easy-to-read digital meter

# Heavy duty clamps

# 6-ft power and output cords

# Retractable handle and self-stored cables

# Revers-hookup protection

# AC Power compensation

# Short Circuit Protection